Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch spare tire carrier thingy....

I made this swing-out tire carrier for my Toyota a while back, it's a bit different than building one for a subaru but still sort of the same. If you want round tube you'll need to find someone with a nice bender... want square than anyone with a chop saw and welder could fab it up for you.

sorry about the size

0632ce10.jpg

06b2ce10.jpg

With subaru tires being so small it doesn't seem really nessary to have the tire hung outside like that unless you fill the inside with lots of crap:D I made it for my Toy since the 35"er wouldn't fit in the bed.

But that subaru with the tire carrier does look slick!

Originally posted by skeet

ANyone here (preferrably around Seattle) fab these things?

These guys are just North of the Seattle area,

http://www.sn-fab.com/

They build mostly 4x's/crawler type rigs but I'm sure they'd be happy to make something for the Subaru owners too...as long as money is exchanged:D

It's worth a call... their # is on the website.

That, and also I plan on giving my soob a 3-6 inch lift, and it would be very nice to fit one outside the car at all times, so I didnt have to have a 15+ rimmed tire in the back, messing with my sleeping area :D

(did that make sense? I'm super drunk)

The carrier on my Hatchback came off of a Jeep Cherokee. To install it I shortened the upper tube and installed the latch plate from the Jeep bumper onto my steel u-channel bumper. Since I mounted the upper hinge point directly to the body of my car just like on the Jeep, I had to reinforce the inside of the rear pillar. Mounting it to the body was a bad idea. If or when I back into a tree the carrier will most likely munch the body. It was an interesting McGuyver project butI wouldn't do it again. Benefits of mounting the spare in back: Lower center of gravity and keeps roof rack available for gear. Drawbacks: Need to swing that tire out of the way every freekin' time you want to open the hatch. Also shifts a bunch of weight way to the rear possibly reducing traction at front wheels. Reduces vision out rear window.

If I did it again, I'd hinge the carrier off the bumper like everyone else. Well wait, John (Mudrat79) was making and selling a carrier that slid into a 2" hitch reciever. John you still selling those?