Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Obligatory ToD thread from a new guy

1990 Loyale AWD turbo with ToD coming from the left bank, rear cylinder.

2000 miles ago, it was bad. So I drained out a quart of oil, replaced it with mmo, and drove it around for fifteen miles. During this time, the clickin' noise went from a not unpleasant sewing-machine purr to a sound like the Gates of Doom opening to engulf my wallet. Then, home for the oil change! One filthy garage floor (GOT to use a funnel next time), four quarts of Pennzoil dino oil for high-mileage engines and a Teflon Fram filter later, the TOD was gone.

Eliminated. Just like that.

Well, hardly able to contain my glee, I drove the snot out of the wee beastie for the next 1800 miles in a ghastly silence (or it would have been if the previous owner's "fixes" to the exhaust system hadn't failed. I mean, I lay a pretty scruffy bead, but I could do better than he did.) until....

{insert appropriate vocabulary here}

By the time I got to the parts store, the Gate of Doom noise was back. I was starting to think it was rod knock, except it wasn't. It was just really bad ToD.

I checked the oil, and noticed it seemed a touch low. Oil level was about a quarter inch below the 'F' point on the dipstick. Turns out that that means it's a full quart low! So I bought a bottle of Seafoam, added about 3/4 cup and topped it off with aforementioned Pennsylvania fossil product.

Thirty miles later? Silent as the tomb. My peace passeth all understanding; you see, I have to drive the Soobie from Wisconsin to Florida to start a new job. I'm doing this in a week, and my budget is tighter than I'd like. My emergency plan was just gonna be to buy a rebuilt head and an oil pump rebuild kit and grit my teeth over a really unpleasant, cold day in the garage. I don't have to do this now, because I read USMB and can stand on the shoulders of giants or at least the shoulders of regular guys who think and use their heads and then post what they find on Mr Al Gore's Interweb.

My contribution: Seafoam works great. Track it down and carry some. Pay attention to your oil level. A gallon plus the filter is not a lot of total lubrication for what is, after all, a turbocharged engine. Go ahead and run a heavier oil. Oil level and oil pressure are inextricably linked in these cars; oil pressure issues are what contribute to the ToD most on my car. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and no one has any idea what a safe dosage of my opinions is.

Welcome a"board",

The fixes for tappet noises are many as you'll find on USMB. Also the ways of diagnosing which is the cause are many. I've sort of become fond of mine over time. When the noise goes away, I sort of miss it. But I never fret cause I know it will be back!:)