Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Out This Buggy in So. AZ!!

aldeveron

I have about $1,500 in this Buggy...

Not a chance I'd sell it for anywhere near that but....

My point is Making your own is not that expensive and you'd have something much better looking

:D That's my unbiased personal opnion :D

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=584

Mudrat was the one who recommended this kit to me...

He has the plans too, but has never built his....YET!

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--easy building kit!

01 Forester--came built!

post-584-136027599666_thumb.jpg

hey mtsmith... i'm driving from yuma arizona to eugene in july.... just a nudge... :) gotta pick up the new car... could drop you one off... :D i'll be going up to pheonix in the next month or so... just something to ponder.

do like sumer's body better though.

S'ko,

Archemits is right. I went from a 22.5" to a 26 so the tires are not small.

I was trying to choose a balance between gearing and clearance. It's a tough call. I thought about pugs but I kinda like the foot wide ATV tire idea. If I could find a set of pugs and super swampers cheap I'd consider having another set of tires, but they would have to be about the same size--because of gearing....I don't think they make a super swamper in a 26?

With my set up I have 11.5" down the middle with the suspension LOWERED :eek:

My real motivation is to get someone else to build one :brow:

As far as I know I'm the only one in the US.

It would be cool to have a fleet of them :D

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

post-584-136027599683_thumb.jpg

I have about $1,500 in this Buggy...

Not a chance I'd sell it for anywhere near that but....

My point is Making your own is not that expensive and you'd have something much better looking

:D That's my unbiased personal opnion :D

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=584

Mudrat was the one who recommended this kit to me...

He has the plans too, but has never built his....YET!

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--easy building kit!

01 Forester--came built!

Where does one get the kit?

I thought somebody had whiped it up in their barn/garage/shop as a one-off.

http://www.rhinobuggies.com.au/

Several of these kits are drop in kits for Subarus :D

The one I built is a bastardized version of the bandit.

I made mine into a 4 seater. Changed the rear end design.

Dropped the front hood 8". Added the Xterra roof rack.

Put rock sliders on it....

and made it into a SEXY buggy! W00T!!!:banana: Glenn, your buggy was AWESOME for the short time I rode in it. Must have ben the coolest thing I've ridden in!

sweet82, i dig the foot wide tires, but your rig doesnt weigh anything. morganm has no problems turning 29s with his stock spfi engine, in a heavy ea82 wagon.

i bet you could run 31x10.5 s and still be faster than my 4 runner with the same tires. 2 sets would be nice, but if your gonna do that, go big! =]

From what I understand most of the folks running the real big tires are driving, or at least starting, in "low" range. That being the case they have functionally given up their low range for larger tires.

I enjoy walking over/around an obsticle. With larger tires you end up having to bash your way through difficult areas--which given our suspension is necessary at times? Still I enjoy watching the lugs creep by. The "going big" thing doesn't sell with me because, unless you divorce your transfer case, you have functionally built a rig for "show"--(And Subies Look Good this way) I wanted to build this for performance more than show.

The tire / gearing equation is a subjective one. I chose gearing with the idea that I'll choose my line carefully and be able to apply my power more precisely in a STEEP climb and not burn my clutch. Also when your the first to do something your truly in the unknown zone. No one on the board has really done exactly what I did so there is not a lot of feed back on what will work and what won't. I talked with the Rhino people about this very subject (gearing & tires) before finalizing my decision.

I have been impressed over the years of the climbing ability of the stock tires and gearing combination. I have noticed the difference between the stock tires and the ATV tires. I can't accelerate as quick! The "car" does not have the instant pep with the bigger tires. I can lay down a GOOD sheet of rubber with both sets of tires (my poor lawn)...but that's only because the ATV's don't have a lot of rubber on the ground at any given time.

The bottom line is there are probably a thousand reasons to put bigger tires on and there's probably a thousand reasons to not get too big. I guess you have to sort through the info available and see what makes sence to you and your needs? This is what I came up with....And as far as that goes...I'm already starting to see tire wear which means that I may have to replace them sometime in the future...?:brow:

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--Didn't anyone catch the fact that my last tire picture was compared to a trailer spare not a subie tire? :lol:

01 Forester--Needs gearing for bigger tires...

Didn't anyone catch the fact that my last tire picture was compared to a trailer spare not a subie tire? :lol:

I noticed that :)

I hear what you are saying; and it really does depend on what *you* want to do. Some would go big with tires and floor it as necessary. Some would match tires to the gears and crawl to victory. You did what you wanted to on your rig and it works for you. I guess thats what really matters :)

Subaru; It's the Mean Machine! :drunk:

mtsfab... i'd tow it not drive it. i'm buying a tow rig on april 1st. a full size 3/4 ton truck with a 460... i think it'll tow it just fine. cause i'm planning on towing the new rig back down to arizona. i really don't want to drive it all the way down to az.