Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82T Intercooler Qs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:56 AM

Hello. I was just wondering how people routed/mounted all the components for a top mount intercooler on a MPFI manifold...that isn't a spider intake. So...send me some pics PLEASE. Thanks. and Good night.
[HTi]Johnson

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:03 AM

What intercooler

Brian has a Saab
Skip uses a Mitsu IC (I think)
I used to use an RX7
Now I have a WRX IC

how its set up depends completely on what you are doing.

A search will give you a number of different answers.

#3 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:18 AM

Oh yeah I Have a WRX intercooler. I'm planning on putting it on my 1987 GL-10 Turbo (of course)
[HTi]Johnson

#4 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:39 AM

OK i searched for some pics...I've got some ideas...but show me your setups! OH yeah, I saw on the pics...where would I get that intake...to allow routing of the air from the BOV back into the intake.
Thanks everyone!
[HTi]Johnson

#5 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:04 AM

Mine currently vents to the atmosphere, but most people use the silences thats on the intake boot as a place to plumb their recirculation.

Posted Image

#6 garner

garner

Brat Master Flash

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Vilas, NC

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:55 PM

Calebz has one of the tightest non-spider TMIC installs I've seen. The spider makes it even cleaner looking.

Mine currently vents to the atmosphere, but most people use the silences thats on the intake boot as a place to plumb their recirculation.

rrrrrrrvvvrrrvrvrvrr!!! ppssssttt!!!

I love BOV's venting to atmosphere but doesn't it run like a turd off throttle with stock engine management? I had to reroute to recirc until i went megasquirt....but now I'm bact to.....

garner

#7 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

I can hear my BPV working, i like it better than the idea of having an obnoxious BOV.

Posted Image

I used (3) 2 3/8" I.D. 90 degree rubber elbows and some 2 3/8" O.D PVC Pipe. Im having problems with the pipe staying together under boost, so Im going to re-do everything with some mandrel bends using 2 3/8" O.D. Stainless Steel. I'll also invest in some silicon couplers and maybe a silicon reducer.

The turbo outlet is 1 3/4" O.D. IIRC The reducer im using goes from 1 7/8" I.D to 2 3/8" I.D. wich fit perfectly on the 90 degree comming from my turbo.

-Brian

#8 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:04 PM

Calebz has one of the tightest non-spider TMIC installs I've seen. The spider makes it even cleaner looking.

I love BOV's venting to atmosphere but doesn't it run like a turd off throttle with stock engine management? I had to reroute to recirc until i went megasquirt....but now I'm bact to.....

garner

Thanks, its not actually that bad off throttle.. But then again, Its running an open downpipe right now so I haven't driven it that much..lol

PS.. I have a complete spidered motor in the garage... If I hadn't just built the motor thats in my wagon, I would use the spider now.. instead I am going to wait and see how long the current motor lasts.. will probably push it a little more now that I have a backup:D

#9 Do It Sidewayz

Do It Sidewayz

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

I can hear my BPV working, i like it better than the idea of having an obnoxious BOV.

Posted Image

I used (3) 2 3/8" I.D. 90 degree rubber elbows and some 2 3/8" O.D PVC Pipe. Im having problems with the pipe staying together under boost, so Im going to re-do everything with some mandrel bends using 2 3/8" O.D. Stainless Steel. I'll also invest in some silicon couplers and maybe a silicon reducer.

The turbo outlet is 1 3/4" O.D. IIRC The reducer im using goes from 1 7/8" I.D to 2 3/8" I.D. wich fit perfectly on the 90 degree comming from my turbo.

-Brian

dude.. i'd prolly remount your BOV, with the "inlet" as close to the TB as possible....you now have it right on your intake pipe (after filter). then when you WOT you then need to fill up that 2 feet of tube that goes to the BOV, then you can make boost.

You'll get a pile less lag if you do this.

#10 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:27 PM

STi TMIC.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:52 AM

I need to update those pix... damn this thread is old.

-Brian

#12 BoostedBalls

BoostedBalls

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Cornelius, OR

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:29 PM

Here's how I mounted a ford thunderbird intercooler. It was a snap, I even used the spare tire rod to mount the intercooler. I ran a 14.22 at 93mph with this setup in a locked 4wd GL-10 4 door. I eventually moved the BOV to the intercooler, it worked much better that way.

I have since gone to a water intercooler and I have an even larger water intercooler ready to go in as well.

Attached Files

#13 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

dont you have an intercooler set up now?

HAH HAH Brad, you kidder you. If everyone notices, This thread is a year old, kinda like all the threads he bumped...hmm what day is today........

#14 Dylan86GL10

Dylan86GL10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Tidewater, VA

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

Garner, you using the stock distributor or edis?

garner

#15 wagon_basher

wagon_basher

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Coeur d' Alene

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:48 PM

Posted Image

#16 simple monkey

simple monkey

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • bremerton

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:06 AM

calebz, what did you use for the pipe going from the intercooler outlet to the throttle body?

#17 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:19 AM

The pic earlier in this thread has PVC going from the TB to the IC. It works, but only as a temporary measure. It doesn't seem to handle the heat well.

This is my current setup.

Posted Image

#18 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:40 AM

dam Caleb your set up looks realy simple compared to the compact mess that mine is. some detail on how you did the throttle cable would be nice.
Im not about to reinvent the system on my wagon but I do have another RX coming to live here soon. hmm

heres my mess.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users