Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting a forester

dklein90

yep mudrat can make lifts for a Foresters. I have a 2" mudrat suspension lift on my Forester. He can also put in a dual-range tranny as well. He's working on a new lift for impreza/Forester/Outbacks that I think is 2" suspension and 4" body. He can fill you in on the details. there's also Scorpion lifts that offer 2" suspension and 2" Body lifts.

Ive looked into several lifts and it seems that I can only find body lift kits, what is needed for a suspension lift? Is it just taller springs and struts? Ive looked at Scorpion and BYB but cant find the suspension lift kits.

Are there any advantages and disadvantages to a suspension? Iv read about going through CV joints.

Finally how does a few inches of lift and larger tires impact gas mileage?

Thanks

-Dave

Do you really need more than a body lift and bigger tires?

Advantages: More suspension travel to flex over obsticles.

Disadvantages: More stress on CVs and DOJs as you reach maximum up and down travel. More travel means you're going to have to cut those fenders to make room for big tires to stuff up into the fender wells.

Gas milage will be negativly impacted. Bigger you go the more gas you use to move those meats.

If you apply Mudrat79's D/R tranny, you may actually have a Forester worth lifting. What's the point of a lift with out gears to match the tires and lift?

When my Forester gets a bit older, that is the route I'm going.

Gear it!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer-- ready to rock :grin:

01 Forester :rolleyes:

The Main/Major Disfunction of a Body Lift in the newer Rides is It does Not allow For Larger Diameter tires.....

I can build you a 2" suspension Lift, Or if you are patient, I am working right now On a 4" Suspension Lift, and Combo 2" Body Lift that will keep Axle geometry stock....So no blowing axles on a regular basis.....:)

This Kit will hopefully be available in 6-8 weeks....We had to OutSource some things, and are waiting on those parts to Come in.....We Will be Test Fitting it to Rallitek's Baja ....:)

I'll post something as soon as We know it's operable.....

Later, John

• Like 1

hi

there's a 47mm bodylift kit here in israel, if you are interested.

Im looking in to buying a forester for a daily driver, some dirt road use and some off roading.

Is this a capable vehicle for off roading and if I wanted to lift it where should I look to find a kit. About how much does it cost.

If you apply Mudrat79's D/R tranny, you may actually have a Forester worth lifting. What's the point of a lift with out gears to match the tires and lift?

When my Forester gets a bit older, that is the route I'm going.

Gear it!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer-- ready to rock :grin:

01 Forester :rolleyes:

pssst. they got about twice your hp... dual range is not a must. but would be crazy fun.

if you put larger wheels, you need more power.

on the other hand, if you buy a manual transmissioned forester, you can use the "low" range for more power.

on the other hand, larger wheels will hurt your possibility to use that "low" for slow driving off-road...

Been there done that...it don't work!

Horsepower is great but the gearing still sucks!

My Forester can't come close to competing with my 82 (in a stock configuration).

Even with twice the Horsepower, it does not come close to comparing with any 80's D/R.

Gearing is the issue with off-roading a Forester.

Clearance is way down the line of needs for wheeling a Forester.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--off-road car

01 Forester--snow car

I think gearing is an issue with the Forester. I've owned my Forester since new and Have found hills that I would bog down on because I didn't have low enough gearing to make it to the top. And this is with stock tire size. I also have to burn the clutch allot to crawl through rough terrain.

Those problems are solved by swapping in a ea82 5-speed Dual-range tranny with a 1.5:1 low-range. you then have the best of both worlds. The gearing of an old Subaru with the power of a new Subaru.

I like the idea of the low range forester, why they didnt give us one from the factory I just dont understand.

How much of a modification is it to put in a DR tranny? Surely its not just a bolt in? How much money am I looking at spending if I want this done?

Thanks for all the good info everyone

-Dave

hi guys

already got a dual range manual transmission in my forester (original 1.45:1 ratio).

it helps, but it isn't a real "low". it drives you slower (69% of the "normal" speed) but you can never "crawl" when you really need to.

i usually drive off-road with vehicles that have a real "low". a few months i couldn't climb a step that averybody else did, and, believe me, there was a cloud of white smoke coming from the clutch (and there wasn't any red indian chief around...).

with such a symbolic ratio the forester will never be a real off-road vehicle. i am going, in a few months, to open the transmission, and to try to change that ratio, knowing that even 2:1, which might be impossible to achieve, and maybe risky to the transmission, still won't be like the others, but it will do to me...

The dual range transmission is smaller than your current transmission and requires an adapter plate to install it. It will give you more low end, and in low range it would be hard to beat. BUT, as I said before the transmission is smaller and it is not designed to take the abuse from the larger engine and the heavier car. Although, I am sure it would last for quite a whyle (especially if you buy a brand new one) I have seen new ones go for about $1200, and used as low as $100, and dont forget that you will need a new clutch, pressure plate and maybee a flywheel. After everything (I would buy a new one) I would assume components alone would be about $1500 and thats not including Mudrats charge for an adapter plate and installation. I have had a transmission remove and replace done on a 87 wagon and cost me $300 so assume about 2000 to 2200, for everything. JM alliedarmament.com

I like the idea of the low range forester, why they didnt give us one from the factory I just dont understand.

How much of a modification is it to put in a DR tranny? Surely its not just a bolt in? How much money am I looking at spending if I want this done?

Thanks for all the good info everyone

-Dave

In Reality ...the Hi-Lo tranny is Identical to the AWD 5 speed inside, with the acception of the AWD having the Clutch pack in the rear , and The Hi-Lo having gears...

As Far as cost on making a Forester mate to the Older tranny..

E-mail me or Call me, and I'll walk you through the List of things Needed....

I just did it to Forester Rangers 98 Forester...:)

Also, I've had the hi-Lo up against a 2.2 , the 2.5 , an XT-6 2.7 , as well as I know one thats Bolted to a buick 2.8 liter motor, and they are all holding up just fine.....and all of these Rides are running at minimum 28" Rubber , and up to 35" rubber.....:)

So the trans is not Weak......

Later, John

hi guys

already got a dual range manual transmission in my forester (original 1.45:1 ratio).

Do you really have a 1.45:1 low-range. I thought the Foreign Foresters had a 1.196:1 low-range. At least that is what it is in Australlian Foresters. If my EA82 tranny doesn't hold up I might just have to try and get one of those 1.45:1 low-ranges from Israel.

Do you really have a 1.45:1 low-range. I thought the Foreign Foresters had a 1.196:1 low-range. At least that is what it is in Australlian Foresters. If my EA82 tranny doesn't hold up I might just have to try and get one of those 1.45:1 low-ranges from Israel.

I'll take one too. SHould you get a line, count me in.

hi guys

sorry for the late reply, i was in a 9 days vacation.

about the duel range transmission with 1.45 "low" ratio: all manually transmissioned foresters have been imported to israel with that transmission, but only with 2000cc engines.

before ordering anything make sure that foresters with other engines have the same ratio.

good luck.

pini

hi guys

sorry for the late reply, i was in a 9 days vacation.

about the duel range transmission with 1.45 "low" ratio: all manually transmissioned foresters have been imported to israel with that transmission, but only with 2000cc engines.

before ordering anything make sure that foresters with other engines have the same ratio.

good luck.

pini

Do you have any idea what a price for a new or used 1.45:1 Dual-range would be in your area? Or could you give us some contact info for Salvage yards or Subaru Parts sellers that may sell these transmissions in your area? Because we in the USA have a demand for dual-ranges for newer cars but just can't find anybody willing to supply us with them.

hi ranger

i guess i am not the "good news man" today.

manually transmissioned forester are rear in israel (about 95% of all vehicals sold recently are automatic).

therefore it's impossible to get used transmissions here, and if someone wants to get one (if it is possible at all) is from japan.

sorry.

pini