Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Corky's Garage Saga

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the roof passed inspection (thanks Eric), but the sheaving needs some extra nailing. It seems that I had the pressure too high on the nail gun and buried the nails too deep, the inspector wants them flush with the surface, so I'm going back and adding nails in between the ones that are already there. I also had to get galvanized nails for the lowest nails (mud splash), it seems the chemicals in the pressure treated wood used for the base plates will corrode the normal nails. Anyway, I can put the roofing material on now, and that was the main concern.

Tarps will let water bleed thru and will not protect the plywood.

Tar paper will go on about as fast, will keep the plywood dry, and will be much easier to keep from blowing off in the wind.

Besides, the paper has to go on before the roofing anyways, why not just put it on?

Tarps will let water bleed thru and will not protect the plywood.

Tar paper will go on about as fast, will keep the plywood dry, and will be much easier to keep from blowing off in the wind.

Besides, the paper has to go on before the roofing anyways, why not just put it on?

Yep, I'll probably start putting it on today.

Make sure you attach it real good, otherwise it will slip out from under you. We dont want to hear that you had a accident while putting it on :-\ Whats the pitch on the roof?

5/12?

Nope 4/12, damn near flat. :lol: I'm planning to staple the heck out of it.

I know you've been watching the weather, right?

Sunday looks like its going to be pretty wet. What about during the week? I'm not working now and might be able to do something then.

Rob, next week looks pretty wet too. I'm putting the felt on now, once it is on, we can pick and chosse the day for the shingles.

By the way, just a note to anyone who following this, upholstery staples do not hold the roofing felt very well. 4_1_72.gif I had to go down and rent a stapler with the correct staple, makes a world of difference.

Well, the paper is on, it rained last night, and there are only two small spots where the rain got through (probably a bad staple or two). Still need to get the molding pieces on before the roofing material goes on.

Passed Sheaving inspection today, now I can wrap the garage to get ready for the siding. Zap is coming over on Monday and we are going to try to get the roofing on (Rob, you busy Monday??). I'm going to get the rest of the roof trim on Saturday and maybe primer the wood on Sunday. I was hoping to have a Garage Warming Party on the 30th, but looks like at least another weekend after that.

if it wasn't for the fact that i'm paying rent for the garage i'm using now,i'd take the old roll up door off and do up a swing open type door.the one that's on there now is a real P.O.S !
Yea, but the roll up are the only kind that they manufacture anymore. I tried to find someone who manufactures or sells swing type door, and there aren't any.