Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX - Is it worth the extra $$$?

Hey, if I buy this car my son won't be the only one to drive it!
:lol: Yea, and it might not be the car you give him if you enjoy it too much. Looks like you have a fine stable of Subarus, he should be glad to get any of them.

check the subaru website... the 05 impreza wagon (non-WRX, non-OBS) is called RS sport wagon.

That's a change for 2005, all previous years were called the TS. I think it's better this way, less confusing for people that are new to the product line.

:lol: Yea, and it might not be the car you give him if you enjoy it too much. Looks like you have a fine stable of Subarus, he should be glad to get any of them.

What I like about Subarus is what you get for the price. On top of that, each one I have bought cost less than the previous one. Our 2002 Outback cost less than our 1996, and our 2004 Outback cost less that (invoice plus $49 minus holdbacks and a $1500 rebate.) Our 2003 Baja was purchased last September for about $6000 under list and it had only 10 miles on it!

I own a WRX and find it perfect for my driving style. I generally accelerate slowly and drive slow. However if I need to pass or merge onto the highway the WRX is incredibly fast once you hit the 3k mark on the tach. You just get used to finding this point when you need it, I don't even think about it.

One thing, check out the Saab 9-2x (the rebadged and might I saw prettier Impreza especially Aero=WRX). There are approx. $7k in rebates and they are cheaper to purchase than a Suby at the moment. GM did a poor job marketing it and its a slow seller. No worries as its pure Subaru with Saab tuning and niceities like extra sound insulation. It also has a better warranty.

One additional consideration for a turbo engine, simmering. I am not familiar with the Subaru, but many turbos need to be simmered after a boost. The bearings in the turbo unit get extremely hot after a boost, the engine must be idled for a while before shutting off the engine. If this isn't done the stagnant oil in the turbo unit will turn to charcol. I know one guy who went through four tubo units this way, a real slow learner. If your son boosts on the way home, parks the car in the driveway, then runs right in to call his GF, things could get expensive. This kind of damage usually is not covered under warranty. SURPRISE!!!

Subaru WRX's are cooled by coolant along with oil. This coolant flows when the motor is shut down for a bit due convection designed in the system. Most people do not boost a motor and then immediately shut it off. You drive slowly or reasonably (not boosting) and park. During this period of time oil flows and all is well in the turbo.

One thing, check out the Saab 9-2x (the rebadged and might I saw prettier Impreza especially Aero=WRX). There are approx. $7k in rebates and they are cheaper to purchase than a Suby at the moment. GM did a poor job marketing it and its a slow seller. No worries as its pure Subaru with Saab tuning and niceities like extra sound insulation. It also has a better warranty.

I have. The dealer doesn't have any in stock to look at and says that if I wanted one, it would take about 10 days to get it. The price looks good, but I'm concerned about resale. Also, the warrantee would be through Saab and there are far fewer Saab dealers than Subaru dealers.

I decided it was worth the price. Here is the new ride:

IMG_0291.JPG

I my opinion:

1. The engine is quieter and smoother.

2. The ride is better.

3. The steering is more responsive.

4. The seats are more comfortable.

5. I like the idea of having side-impact airbags.

6. The automatic climate control is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision. I've read the posts about people ragging on a 22 year old, like he's a kid. Everyone is different, and has different values, but when I was 22, I had a college degree, and was a police officer in a major city. Looking back, that was kinda dumb (not the college degree ha ha) and I was/am responsible as a driver. You bought him a car he can be proud of, and it is nice to see a father take so much pride in his son to make sacrifices for him and the other kids. God Bless you for that. Instead of the "silver spoon" comment, ignore that and be proud of what you are doing for your family. Done preaching now. BTW, the only reason I didn't buy the WRX last week (I bought a Forester XS instead) is because of the big a** sunroof for the dogs and baby to enjoy.:)

i say good choice, i am 22 and i have had my share of fun, mostly in the mud, but if i had the opportunity to own a wrx in the future, knowing its past, since it was in the family. i would love to be able to, insurance, extra cash up front and higher octane gas is a setback. But the EJ20 has been the discussion piece for what is the best suby motor ever designed and built, the other one is the EJ22/EJ22T. if youre really worried, i say screw drivers ed, didnt learn much from them, go to a big parking lot on a rainy day, set up some cones, make a mini-autocross track and teach the kid how to handle a car with more power. with an emphasis on control and not to impress chicks or his buddies.

~Josh~