Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Base Timing vs. Advanced Timing.......

base timing is the initial setting that car uses before the edu electronically advances or retards the timing whiel the engine is runing

if you go try and set the base timing with out connecting the wires that tell the ecu to not adjust the timing then you will end up chasing the timing marks all around

as the ecu tried to "re-correct" the timing

also the ecu is programmed to start its timing advance from what it thinks is teh "base timing" so if your base is supposed to be say 15 deg btdc but it really is 18 deg btdc and the ecu assumes it starts out at 15 and tehn advances another 5 degree then the ecu incorrectly makes the timing advance to 23 degrees btdc ... depending ont he motor aand other things like turbo's and such it can eitehr be a good thing or it can preignite the fuel in the cyliders so far in advance that it tears the motor up

that is my version of it ..

i will let someone else with better typing skills explain how advance and retard work :) in relation to power and fuel economy

green connectors, 87 and up spfi they are under the hood. 85 and up turbos as well as 86 spfi they are under the dash near the ecu. xt's in the trunk. the black or white connectors are for the codes

withthe green connectors plugged in the fuel pump willcycle on and off, and this also holds the timing static in the same manner as plugging the vac line on a mechanical distributor

It's an 84 carb wagon and is timed to 12 deg.........runs fine, great power, and use 93 octane. Is there anything I should worry about or be aware of being that its timed to 12 deg???

Thanks

As long as it's not pre-detinating (pinging) then you should be fine.

12 deg??? wow you should have a pretty large amount of power loss being that retarded in the timing setting

Blunt, but to the point (note: this a Carburated Engine, not fuel injected)

Though there has been significant power gain, it looks as if it would be wise to reconsider the thirst for power and settle for engine longevity.....

cheers..............:drunk:

Ah I just assumed 84 GL was a wagon or sedan; is it a hatchback?

When it starts ping'n you are getting too greedy :)

It's an 84 wagon gl 4wd auto with 36k. (EA81)

hey, maybe I'd feel more comfortable at 10 degrees???

It's an 84 wagon gl 4wd auto with 36k. (EA81)

hey, maybe I'd feel more comfortable at 10 degrees???

Guess I'm not up on what all the EA81 came in and what years. Only worked on a few friends; never owned one myself yet.

I dunno why you are even worrying about it honestly :) You've already done the right thing and put in higher octane fuel. If it's running great on 93 I say drive on.

It's an 84 carb wagon and is timed to 12 deg.........runs fine, great power, and use 93 octane. Is there anything I should worry about or be aware of being that its timed to 12 deg???

Thanks

No! It's running fine so you have nothing to worry about. That simple!

the retarded was meant in reference to engine timing only as in advanced/retarded timing sorry for any confusion maybe we should petition for a more p/c term to describe the ignition system firing later in the combustion cycle?

the retarded was meant in reference to engine timing only as in advanced/retarded timing sorry for any confusion maybe we should petition for a more p/c term to describe the ignition system firing later in the combustion cycle?

I was just kidding. It's one of my responsibilities as resident wise-rump roast.;)

Ok.....I'm strying to get this straight in my head:

If the rotor on the disty moves counterclockwise, and I'm 12 deg advanced, then I twist the disty clockwise to a slower idle, could I actually acheived 10 deg advanced????

Thanks............

rule is, with carb motors running and timing light in hand, twist one way, if it speeds the idle up, that way is advance, no need to get too technical, after all, it IS outdated technology..............uh oh.......HERE THEY COME!!!!!

j/k

~Josh~

Ok.....I'm strying to get this straight in my head:

If the rotor on the disty moves counterclockwise, and I'm 12 deg advanced, then I twist the disty clockwise to a slower idle, could I actually acheived 10 deg advanced????

Thanks............

When I first read your post I thought you were correct but after thinking about it more I think the firing will be more advanced since the firing will be even sooner by moving the disty clockwise and the rotor turning CCW.

When I first read your post I thought you were correct but after thinking about it more I think the firing will be more advanced since the firing will be even sooner by moving the disty clockwise and the rotor turning CCW.

You are correct, the more I thought about it, I realized I had it backwards. Now another Q, I need to adjust the Float, theres too little gas in there.....how do I go about adjusting the float....

Thanks always..........