Ultimate Subaru Message Board

conflict resolution wth subaru

have a 2005 outback with recurring problem which dealer can not fix. They suggested calling subaru and dealing with their problem resolution staff. The dealer has also already contacted the dirtrict rep and informer them they are unable to solve the problem.

If anyone has gone thru this process and would care to share their insight and suggestions I would be grateful. I like the car and do not want to invest time and funds into an attorney for the purpose of a "lemon law" action.

Thanks or any help.

I have been thru this and the whole process was very easy. If they fail to fix it in three attemps ask at the dealer to see the Reg. manager. They will set you an appt. with them and they will meet you at your dealer place of buss. The one that helped me was from Col. His name was Stuart Garrett. He came down to Waco Tx. took my car and fixed it on the spot and gave me and my family a loan car and money for dinner. It was a very good experince. He came down in a suit but changed to work clothes and he really knew his job. Mine had a rattle up under the head liner and they took the liner down and fixed it. The top of the car had seperated from the cross members. As for as the lemon law we never got that for but as I understood it that was next.

last year with 6000 miles the car started "skipping" like a plug wire was bad. took it in,no codes = no problem as far as they were concerned. The "skipping turned into a very bad "stuttering" and hestitation at about 45 and 65mph.Then it progressed into a "knocking" like two plug wires were shorting. At about three hours on a trip this would occur. At 12000 miles it turned into a racket like the plug wires were hooked to the wrong plug and the car would buck and jump as if it were going to self destruct. I stopped the car off the road and called a local dealer. Car was off for about twenty minutes. I honestly did not think I could get another ten miles out of it. It cranked and ran flawlessly back home for 150 miles. Dealer got it, no codes=no problem!.Took off the next day on the same trip, same thing at about the three hour mark. With the cruise control off the car would maintain whatever speed i was at if I took my foot off the aaccelerator. In order to stop I had to shift to neutral and apply brakes. The motor would continue to maintain the rpm at which i had shifted into neutral. I filed a complaint to NHTSA on that basis and there are several others posted with the same complaint. A local dealer in Raliegh said they had replaced six throttle position sensors with the same symptoms and it cured the problem. They also saw no codes on those six. Back to my dealer and they replaced the TPS on the basis of the other dealers experience. That cured the problem. Fifteen thousand miles later the same symptoms are back. No Check Eng. Lite=no codes=noproblem. They drove the car a short distance and did not experience the skipping. They passed this to the district rep and informed us to contact SOA and deal with them.

My dealer has apparently reached their level of competency and caring they feel is appropriate for this situation and have decided to hand it back to me to deal with SOA and live with the car.

That is where it stands right now.

Contact SOA they will help you, I feel sure of this. Their should be a number in the back of your owners manuel where to turn for help. It is best to contact these people with certified mail return receipt, after you get their address. This will help you if you need to prove time intervials.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all that offered advice and or an opinion, and to everyone that contributes to this board. Settled yesterday with SOA. Mutually acceptable to both parties. As they say in tinseltown, it was "amicable" but spirited. Without a doubt the most satisfying corporate problem resolution process I have ever encountered. Our district rep, Kelly Snow, and SOA should be proud of their performance.

Things to do:

1) Follow the procedures

2) Have a paper trail.

3) Negotiate. Negotiate. Negotiate.

4) Don't Blink

5) Sign the non disclosure form.

Am very happy for you, mikem. Glad you stuck with it and got a satisfactory deal.

Unfortunately item 5 (sign the nondisclosure form) leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. It's probably just the "corporate way," and maybe I'm just paranoid. But I hear Subaru screaming "we don't want anybody to know about this problem . . . so you better not tell."

Everyone on this board bends over backward to share, to help each other--but the company that makes our cars won't share.

Kinda' sad.

Agreed. You were apparently made whole but others less tenacious may not be as lucky especially if their problem starts at lets say 36,001 miles on at about 3 years and one day.

Am very happy for you, mikem. Glad you stuck with it and got a satisfactory deal.

Unfortunately item 5 (sign the nondisclosure form) leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. It's probably just the "corporate way," and maybe I'm just paranoid. But I hear Subaru screaming "we don't want anybody to know about this problem . . . so you better not tell."

Everyone on this board bends over backward to share, to help each other--but the company that makes our cars won't share.

Kinda' sad.

Actually, I am not sure they have anything to share. They are unable to fix the problem ( search under Mikem) and will probably wholesale the car off.

I work for a Fortune 100 company and am used to that type of behavior, non disclosure statements, having your email read, corporatate BS.

BIG paranoias, little brains. But is real to them.