Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We broke the piggy bannk and bought a new OBW, and now have 2348 miles on it. I just noticed that the passenger door handle, inside, has come loose at the top mount. Looks like some small plastic bits broken off. Strange because I have been driving it most of the time alone.

My old OBW had a horizontal door pull inside, never a problem with it.

Is this a sign of things to come? (who knows) More of the Subaru going downhill on its quality?

05blusub,

You've had the car for a little over 2000 miles....and it has a broken inside door latch.....which most likely will be fixed by the dealership under warranty....at no cost to you.....and you want to know if you've bought a lemon....and if this is some sort of harbinger of worse things to come????!

I am not saying it is a lemon, just that the design of the new Outbacks in certain respects may not be what they once were. Form follows function, but not in this case. I don't like the trend, chassing dollars and giving up good design just for the look of it.

Clear as mud?

No, I don't think I have a lemon, but am dissapointed that something that should last (the stupid door pull) failed after a very short time. I can see how it was made and am saddended by it. End of rant.

I think it is more about the new body style than anything related to Subaru's competance slipping. Have you ever owned a car that was a first year redesign?

I owned a 92 civic, first year redesign. I would see the same model all over town with the exact same exterior issues: same rust patterns, same trim breaking, plastic "shield" installed in the tire well to stop water from being forced into the electronics, etc.

Just be aware that this sort of thing is going to happen, and next time you may want to think about a car that has not been redesigned in a couple of years. I bet if you check out an 07 in a year, that door handle will be manufactured differently.