Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Charge" and "oil" light not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

I opened up my dash yesterday and found that the "charge" and "oil" lights didnt have a bulb so i put one in and the "charge" still didnt work. Whats up with that? And the "oil" only worked when I turned my headlights on... very weird. Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:58 AM

My suggestion? Drive on soldier! Watch the guages, not the idiot lights :D

#3 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:00 AM

Ya, true. Good thing i have them. :D

#4 KStretch55

KStretch55

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Boise County

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:34 AM

Have your alternator checked. The lights not working seems to be an indication that something is wrong with the voltage regulator or diodes.

#5 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

Ya cuz my ammeter guage goes up and down when i have my blinkers on... So can the voltage regulator be replaced or just the whole alternator?

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:52 AM

Ya cuz my ammeter guage goes up and down when i have my blinkers on... So can the voltage regulator be replaced or just the whole alternator?

It's built into your alternator. I don't think swaping alts is going to make those two lights work.

#7 edrach

edrach

Charter member OFRT

• Members
  • 12,324 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:53 AM

For the cost of a working alternator you can get at Pull a Part, you'd be better off going that route rather than trying to replace the voltage regulator in your current alternator; besides I suspect your alternator may not be putting out from the symptoms you describe. A voltage regulator will only control voltage by limiting the upper range; it can't make up for drops in alternator output.

#8 1985GLWAGON

1985GLWAGON

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Frankfort

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:54 AM

Same thing with my oil light, bulb is okay, but it just won't light up with the rest.

#9 KStretch55

KStretch55

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Boise County

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:41 AM

If you are skilled at soldering you can replace the regulator for about $30, same with the brushes ($1.50). But, with diodes involved and such, you pretty much need to be somewhat experienced.

There definitely is a correlation between the idiot lights not working and alternator function. I've experienced it, as have others I've read comments from. You would think that with alternator failure you'd get a "charge" light, but it's not always the case. It was explained to me by someone who seemed to know what they were talking about that it has to do with one or more of the diodes burning out and not allowing voltage to the light curcuit.

#10 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:54 AM

There definitely is a correlation between the idiot lights not working and alternator function. I've experienced it, as have others I've read comments from. You would think that with alternator failure you'd get a "charge" light, but it's not always the case. It was explained to me by someone who seemed to know what they were talking about that it has to do with one or more of the diodes burning out and not allowing voltage to the light curcuit.

I've heard of it affecting ALL the idiot lights... but just two of them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users