Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Deep Water Kit

A_DuB

A friend of mine has an 89 GL Wagon that we've been working on (replacing timing belt and idle pulley) and he was wondering if I could help him rig up some sort of Deep Water Kit for it. I told him it might be possible and that I would look into it. I've done a search and didn't come up with anything promising and was just wondering if any one has tried this on an 89 GL Wagon that has SPFI.

A friend of mine has an 89 GL Wagon that we've been working on (replacing timing belt and idle pulley) and he was wondering if I could help him rig up some sort of Deep Water Kit for it. I told him it might be possible and that I would look into it. I've done a search and didn't come up with anything promising and was just wondering if any one has tried this on an 89 GL Wagon that has SPFI.

check out the "ultimate snorkle" thread in the offroad forum....

Ya, hooking up a snorkel is probably one of the most important things you can do before water fording. With just the stock airbox, air (and water) would be sucked in in front of the passenger wheels very close to the bottom of the fender. Even fording a little puddle with a stock airbox would result in sucking in some water.

Ya, hooking up a snorkel is probably one of the most important things you can do before water fording. With just the stock airbox, air (and water) would be sucked in in front of the passenger wheels very close to the bottom of the fender. Even fording a little puddle with a stock airbox would result in sucking in some water.

I beg to differ...as long as you do have the inner fender still in place, and the stock 'CAI' (little plastic tube that sucks air from the front of the fender up to the airbox) removed. you'll do ok, I'd worry about electrical connections first, THEN snorkel, then tranny/diff breathers....

I beg to differ...as long as you do have the inner fender still in place, and the stock 'CAI' (little plastic tube that sucks air from the front of the fender up to the airbox) removed. you'll do ok, I'd worry about electrical connections first, THEN snorkel, then tranny/diff breathers....

I had much worse luck after i remvoved the "snorkus" soaked the filter much easier.

If you unscrew a few wire tiedowns you can rotate the entire intake tube, airbox and Maf into the spare tire area so it goes straight back. that will stop water under all but extreme circumstances.

Ya, thats what I was trying to get at. With the way the stock intake is setup, air is sucked in from pretty low on the car. Modify the box by moving it to higher ground (like Noah suggested) or remove the CAI (which is sucking in water lower) and you'll be all set with you intake. Good point brought up about the electrical connections too. Don't wanna fried wagon.

Maybe you guys do it differnt out west, but i want to reiterate my point, without the CAI, i ran into a lot more trouble in the water than i did with it.

Best solution is to rotate it back, i'll see about a pic if i can get around to it

the CAI I'm referring to is the tubing that's actually inside the fender. not all cars had it, but I know some did.

and if you're running without the plastic inner fender (which you pretty much have to with cut fenders...), then all the water/mud sprays right up off your tire, into your airbox.

my '85 carbed wagon hated deep water, until I took the little tube off the airbox that ran over to the hole in the fender. it still ran crappy, but that's cause the water would short out my disty and coil!

but if you do decide to move your intake, just repositioining the stock airbox up into the spare tire well works very well. I'll probably do that, but with a cone filter....

just repositioining the stock airbox up into the spare tire well works very well. I'll probably do that, but with a cone filter....

That's exactly what I was thinking:brow: thanks allzzzzzzz. Umm as for the electrical connections what would be a good way to insulate them? Just wrap them up in electrical tape and try repositioning them higher up in the engine bay?

That's exactly what I was thinking:brow: thanks allzzzzzzz. Umm as for the electrical connections what would be a good way to insulate them? Just wrap them up in electrical tape and try repositioning them higher up in the engine bay?

no, don't use elctrical tape, that'll just create a sticky mess. just get yourself a tube of RTV silicone sealant, and put a small coating on any seam, or connector that you don't want water on. namely your ignition system.

I had much worse luck after i remvoved the "snorkus" soaked the filter much easier.

Same here Noah. What really made it bad was the inner plastic splash guards were removed from the fender well also. Now the front tire was just throwing stuff right upint othe air box. Thats why I plugged that hole and pivoted the whole air box 90degrees so its now sucking air from the engine bay. Good in water till about waist deep.

Deep water kits are more than snorkels. Dizzy needs to be kept sealed. Vacume system needs to be tight enough so t hat water isnt sucked int othe engine. Differential breathers need to either be extended or plugged. Check out deep water kits on some real ORVs for a more comprehensive idea of what needs to be done to ford seriouse water.