Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about buying new car

I've been looking at the new Legacy's (would like an Outback but there to much $$).....anyway, I'm finding that the "salesman" will tell me anything I want to hear so I wanted to see what some of you had to say....I am worried about the full-time AWD....to me this is bad, I see it as having all those parts moving all the time and a better possibility of something breaking....not to mention not the greatest fuel efficiency.....any insights??? Other than the Legacy and outback does Subaru make a wagon that is not full-time AWD??? Thank you

I've been looking at the new Legacy's (would like an Outback but there to much $$).....anyway, I'm finding that the "salesman" will tell me anything I want to hear so I wanted to see what some of you had to say....I am worried about the full-time AWD....to me this is bad, I see it as having all those parts moving all the time and a better possibility of something breaking....not to mention not the greatest fuel efficiency.....any insights??? Other than the Legacy and outback does Subaru make a wagon that is not full-time AWD??? Thank you

Penny the whole POINT of a Subaru is the AWD, otherwise it's just another fairly well finished, good handling Japanese/American car.

They're quirky, earn passionate loyalty from their owners and will never (well, almost never let you down).

My family is on it's fourth and fifth Subarus, and have nnever been stranded, no matter how bad the weather, dark the night or deep the snow. Plus nothing handles as well on a good old twisty road as a 'Roo, BECAUSE of that AWD.

BTW, Lagacies handle better than Outbacks, we currently have two.

Well, you will have to balance your desires and your needs. Indeed, there are vehicles that get better mileage, and are arguably slightly less complex. But, manual windows are less complex than electric - yet folks requently get them because they perceive a need or deisire. I live in Texas and own 2 soobs now, I doubt I could really justify a NEED for AWD, but I wanted it - plus other aspects of the vehicles fit our particular needs/desires at the time of purchase.

Perhaps if you told us your driving conditions and some idea of what you are looking for, folks could help you more.

I really didn't want to spend the extra cash on AWD myself when purchasing my 05'. And like yourself I was wondering what the extra burden in MPG and maintenance was going to be. However in the end we made the right decision going with Subaru. All of the other similar car/SUV hybrids are junk not to mention Honda and Toyata currently don't have a wagon model. The Mazda 6 wagon is just about the only other car that I was seriously considering and its features were much more in line with my needs however; it was also a bit more expensive than the Legacy and Mazda recommended not having a trailer hitch on the car (that was the deal breaker).

Sorry I can't help with your exact question, but I am very happy to have my new sube.

I am on my 4th SUbaru. My first one was 81 Gl 2wd. After that i was hooked. My next one was a 1988 Hatch which i loved to death. My next one was a 1998 legacy, and now I have a 97 Outback.

Ive found the cars trouble free, depdnedable. Its the only car I would take on a cross country trip with 200,000 miles on the clock. Its the only used car I would buy with over 100K on it. Gas mileage for me runs from 19 in NYC traffic, 23 in suburbia, and 29 on the highway.

The best way i can tell how dependable in foul weather my car is? When i go out with freinds, they want me to pcik them up, because hey know my car cant be beat in rain snow or slush.

The only thing I'm dispaointed with is that my car has the winter package, but no heated windsheild wipers.

Maybe you want to look at 1 or 2 year old outback instead of a new legacy?

nipper

lol iflyifr.....yes, couldn't agree more with the ford comment. Thanks for the imput.....We have a farm and are 100% GMC Fans....our trucks and every other vechicle we have ever owned have been one of the GMC family. I came across my '92 "Roo" because I LOVE wagons, I liked the idea of a 4x4 car and it was cheap....it has 260,000km on it and other than the recent "timing belt" issue it has never missed a beat.....I love this car to death and that's why I am looking at new Subarus....this is the first car I have owned....I am a SUV and truck nut. There were 3 reasons why I want a Subaru...first was fuel efficiency, second, I love the 4x4 option and 3rd...they are dependable. Alot of you mentioned that you loved the AWD, my point is. There are some days when I will need AWD and others when I won't....so why put all that extra wear and tear and decreased fuel efficiency burden when I really can't see a need for it driving down a straight highway on a summer afternoon....there is no doubt that I'm getting a Subaru but I was just wondering about possible problems....thanks guys.

PS: mtsmiths if the Legacy adn the Outback were the same price would you still get the Legacy??

PennyMc, I'll answer with a qualified no. But, only because we get a LOT of snow in Whitefish, and the extra two inches or so of gound clearence helps. That said, we've never gotten either of our Legs stuck, includding driving my wife's 2000 thirty miles in unplowed eighteen inch deep snow to Polebridge, MT last winter.

But I certainly wouldn't pay the premium asked for the Outback badge and a bunch of add-on plastic cladding. Actually, what I *did* do, is buy a set of Outback struts off the board and lift my '95. Still looking for another set to lift my wifes '00.

There's a noticable difference in the handling of my Legacy now that it's lifted, it was much more of a ground-hugging corner slamming car before I raised it ... still pretty good tho'!

Our first 'Roo was a '78, bought in '82, We've had two '87 GLs that went over 200,000, and I bought my wifes 2000 in November of '01 with 99,850 miles on it already.

I'm currently looking for an early Forester to chop into a pick-up ('cause I can't seem to find a really clean Brat equipped the way I want it).

There are some days when I will need AWD and others when I won't....so why put all that extra wear and tear and decreased fuel efficiency burden when I really can't see a need for it driving down a straight highway on a summer afternoon....there is no doubt that I'm getting a Subaru but I was just wondering about possible problems....thanks guys.

PS: mtsmiths if the Legacy adn the Outback were the same price would you still get the Legacy??

Even with manually selected 4wd, the other drive system is still turning, so its still wearing.

The error that alot of people make, is that they only need AWD in winter. you get the best emergency handling on a car, and performance, when you treat all four wheels equally. I have felt the AWD kick in on dry ground during an emergency manuver. From what i know with freinds with "real SUVs", the subaru is relativly maintanence free in the AWD system. In fact in 3 4wd/awd subarus, the only maint i had to do to the system was replace a universal joint :)

Good luck on your new car :clap:

Thanks guys...nipper, that does make sense. And I agree about the "extra plastic" on the Outback....I actually thought it kinda made it look cheaper (but maybe that's just my mind trying to justify not being able to have one...lol) Either way I'm sure I'm going to love a new Legacy...now if I could only find a way to pay for it, so if any of you have any bank robbing tips please feel free to share.

and I find the confidence on holiday trips and the rain to be worth the extra the car costs in mileage. If you don't need the extra ground clearance the Legacy is a better cruiser and handles better on curves. I have a Forester because of the size and shape myself, but every year when I drive my brother in law's Legacys in New Zealand I get reminded of how nice they drive.