Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 subaru stuck in 4 wheel drive

That happens when you drive it in 4wd on hard/dry pavement, and/or make a sharp turn on dry road. Get a couple of wheels off the road on a sand/gravel shoulder or slippery grass or leaves and back up a bit and it should be ok. It also helps to have matched wheels i.e. similar size/tread-pattern/air pressure on each axle.

the nut many have lossened it self off the 4wd drive rod like it did in my car, making the slelector not move the rod backwards. take off the centre trim and you should see.

If it's really badly stuck, and you don't have any non-paved roads or ice handy to unstick it, just jack up one wheel and it should free any tensions int he drivetrain. Unless it is an adjustment problem on the lever and not just driveline tension.

any suggestions??/ its the kind with the pull lever (4high/Low)and front wheel drive...how do i get the lever to go back down

Don't mash down on the lever. Just gently/firmly push it down as you give it some gas moving forward in a straight line.

If it's really badly stuck, and you don't have any non-paved roads or ice handy to unstick it, just jack up one wheel and it should free any tensions int he drivetrain. Unless it is an adjustment problem on the lever and not just driveline tension.

Very good advice.

Best advice I can give you:

DO NOT EVER PUT IT IN 4X ON DRY PAVEMENT. EVER!!!!!

There is a "neutral" between 4Hi and 4Lo, though keeping it there isn't good for the transmission.

My personal favorite way to free up 4WD when it's tight (going from gravel to packed dirt or such) is to just brake hard enough to create some slippage on the front. It frees up nicely.

-=Russ=-