Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whats the cheapest set of tires your can buy for a 1997 obw??

why go cheap?

TIRES are the only thing connecting your car to the road

they are by far the most important thing on the car

so why go cheap?

get something good gripping, road hugging but AFFORDABLE.

do you have a budget?

any idea what you can afford?

Jamie

I bought BF goodrich .... from tirerack.com they were the best buy for the money, and reviewed really well.

Sometimes its better to cheap cheap tires with plenty of tread, vs expensive tires that are down to the treadwear indicators.

nipper

I bought BF goodrich .... from tirerack.com they were the best buy for the money, and reviewed really well.

Sometimes its better to cheap cheap tires with plenty of tread, vs expensive tires that are down to the treadwear indicators.

nipper

Those are some good tires, I'm going to try and get some from Costco one of these days, when I have some extra money for new tires...

Probably some from the junkyard. Cars with very new/good tires do get junked occasionally.

I have been in the position in the past where I actually bought used tires. It was never a great value - just an emergency maneuver.

Shop at tirerack.com but take a printout to you local tire store (Discount, NTB, whatever) and see if they can beat it. Or, ask around one of the tire shops at quitting time if there is a way a guy who's strapped for cash cou;d get some good used tires. Sometimes folks jst but new tires before their old ones are wornout. The big problem nowadays is the liability that a shop incurs if they sell and mount used tires. They are reluctant to do it and in sime states it may be illegal. But giving a guy a 50 dollar bill when he's walking outta the tire shop at quitting time MIGHT fix you up.

It's tough when you're strapped and the vehicle needs shoes. We've all been there. Don't be ashamed to ask your relatives, friends - even your boss. They don't want you to risk your life on crappy tires.

good luck

SubieGal is right. Tires are probably the most important and most easily felt performance and safety modification you can make to your car.

Braking and cornering are both limited by your tires.

But to answer your question, I was in Wal-Mart today, and I noticed they sell tires. It seems like theirs are cheaper than PepBoys'. Dunno if they're any good, though. I'd search for reviews before you buy.

Look on Tirerack.com for Yokohama's

3rd set of Avid Tourings on my 96

Replaced the lousy Bridgestone Potenzas at 25K with Yokohama's H4S's on the

I like them both.

Kuhmo seems to make inexpensive tires that are pretty good. Or you could see what kind of deals they have at costco or priceclub or whatever.

When I looked into buying new tires, Kuhmo ASXs were going to run me about $450 to have mounted and balanced at a discount tire store, so I bought another used set.

Look in the classifieds on Subaru forums. I got a set of 100 mile WRX wheels and tires locally for $250, which is a bit high for a set of WRX take-offs with RE92s unless they have no miles and no scratches like mine. Anything other than 05-06 STi and SVX wheels will fit.

nasioc tends to have the most stuff for sale plus classifieds by region, but the site is down at the moment because of the hurricane I guess. I checked aroud a bit but didn't see a lot.

Kuhmo seems to make inexpensive tires that are pretty good. Or you could see what kind of deals they have at costco or priceclub or whatever.

When I looked into buying new tires, Kuhmo ASXs were going to run me about $450 to have mounted and balanced at a discount tire store, so I bought another used set.

Look in the classifieds on Subaru forums. I got a set of 100 mile WRX wheels and tires locally for $250, which is a bit high for a set of WRX take-offs with RE92s unless they have no miles and no scratches like mine. Anything other than 05-06 STi and SVX wheels will fit.

nasioc tends to have the most stuff for sale plus classifieds by region, but the site is down at the moment because of the hurricane I guess. I checked aroud a bit but didn't see a lot.

I JUST got some Kumhos on my new ride. So far so good.

So, you figure my '06 takeoff wheels and tires are worth only about $250? I'm very disappointed but - at least it will help offset the cost of my new wheels.

sigh

I JUST got some Kumhos on my new ride. So far so good.

So, you figure my '06 takeoff wheels and tires are worth only about $250? I'm very disappointed but - at least it will help offset the cost of my new wheels.

sigh

No the 06 17" wheels go for more. I think I saw one set that was for sale for like $700, and then another guy selling his for $450, which I think is probably closer to what they'll sell for once they've been out for awhile. The wheels I got were 04s with pretty much new tires, and 05s seem to sell for slightly more. The first set I got was only $200. 16x7 GC RS wheels also sell for more.