Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm new, What Subaru should I buy for offroading? Basic conversion Q's

BlueRidgeSE

I found a local seller listing a '88 Subaru Wagon. That's about it for details on the model. It supposedly has a good motor, exterior and interior but a shot tranny. Would all '88 Wagons be 4wd but just differing trannies? How much would I expect to spend on a D/R swap into it? Would this be carb or EFI? Thanks.

-TJ

I like your option #1. A lifted forester can do about anything, and if you get a VTD auto tranny from a Baja or WRX in there, you will have a true AWD system with a planetary center diff that will probably outperform the EA82 D/R in most anything but the most extreme off-roading situations.

What? The only thing awd is good for is handling. If you actually want to leave the dirt roads, awd is not going to beat low range and locked 4wd at anything. Heres a little list of advantages and disadvantages for ya:

GL

+

way cheaper/easier to fix

More capable/durable off-road

Scratches and dents, who cares? Wedged against something, give it more gas and yell yeeeehaa!

-

Wont impress the jones's (it will scare them though)

Less comfy, but not bad

Slower

Forester

+

Comfy/Better for long trips

Safer on the road (airbags, abs etc)

has reasonable power

-

Lots of plastic bits to break and scratch off-road

Parts/repairs are more expensive, especially if the dealer is doing the work

Scratches and dents will devalue the car more than a lifted GL is going to cost.

Less capable stock, and costs more money to get into the same performance range as a GL.

It depends what you want to do. If you want to 4x4 and go where others dont dare to go, get a GL. If you want to do road trips and find those private camping spots, lift the forester.

What? The only thing awd is good for is handling. If you actually want to leave the dirt roads, awd is not going to beat low range and locked 4wd at anything.

Thats why I said excluding extreme offroading, IE climbing non-road hills and such. The AWD will actually work better for snow driving, and loose terrain applications in on-road situations as well as dirt/gravel/etc. roads, and I specifically stated the VTD Auto tranny because the regular 4EAT is nothing special.

Not too bad milage wise, low and mid 20's, but the acceleration is pretty bad.

Mine has 30" mud king radials on it, and judging by the amount of noise they make, their an ineficient tire. I could hold 75 on the highway, with up and down hills, and 97 was possible on a long down hill. I averaged 80mph for a 160mile stretch of road. Pretty much, if the rpms dropped below 2k rpms, i had to downshift. 4th gear was a regular occurance on the uphills.

All in all that's not too bad, about what my current daily driver does ('89 MazDUH B2200 w/ 185k hard miles). It gets about 22-25mpg on an average tank depending on what's in the bed and the city/freeway mix. It'll hold 75 in 5th but any grade means slowing to 65 and 4th. And it takes it's time about getting to 75. But it doesn't bother me. As long as the EA wouldn't be any worse I'd be okay.

My main reason for asking is because I'll be taking this rig (assuming I buy and build one) to Idaho 2-3 times a year which is a ~16hr drive at 75mph w/ a few gas/piss stops. Obviously I want to get decent mileage on a drive that long and it'd be very tedious going 55 the whole way.

And once I get to Idaho you better believe roads won't be considered. The last hour to my cabin is all on a dirt road and once I'm there there's plenty of places to play. :P

You know the screwiest thing of all? My 428RWHP Z06 gets mid to high 20mpg on the freeway and that's considered pretty bad for a C5.

Thanks for the input everybody!

-TJ

not meaning to hijack this thread or anything, but I'm wondering about something along similar lines for an ea81... I plan on giving it minium of 4" lift and probably something around 28" depending on what i can find that fits my budget. I'm not quite sure as to what the major differances are between the ea81 and ea82 yet.

well, not to bad of milage, i get around 22-25... hell, i never use 5th gear, at all. keep her reved up a little more than you normally would. acceleration is pretty poor, but it moves :lol: instead of 75, go 65.. it will get better milage that way..it is pretty comforatable at like 65 or so.. i agree, take the back roads, no body needs free ways, to many people that are stupid

well, not to bad of milage, i get around 22-25... hell, i never use 5th gear, at all. keep her reved up a little more than you normally would. acceleration is pretty poor, but it moves :lol: instead of 75, go 65.. it will get better milage that way..it is pretty comforatable at like 65 or so.. i agree, take the back roads, no body needs free ways, to many people that are stupid

Maybe you missed my post, but one of my main reasons for asking is the 16hr (at 75mph) trip I take to Idaho several times a year. I'm not going to take back roads and go slower... 16hrs is long 'nough as it is.

-TJ

if you get your ea71 running tip top, you`ll be fine for the trip.i did 10hrs at 80mph in my old 75, even was toying around with a honda for like an hour right around 100mph.on second note, my father has a 93 C4 vette, he gets 25mpg, and my uncles 99 C5 vette gets around 28, but when you get your foot into it, the milage suffers badly.

if you get your ea71 running tip top, you`ll be fine for the trip.i did 10hrs at 80mph in my old 75, even was toying around with a honda for like an hour right around 100mph.on second note, my father has a 93 C4 vette, he gets 25mpg, and my uncles 99 C5 vette gets around 28, but when you get your foot into it, the milage suffers badly.

The co-buyer of my EA71 might want to "buy me out" from the deal for a foul weather DD. I'm alright with that... as long as I can turn around and build a "Woods Wagon." But yeah, even running very poorly on 6 year old gas w/ the front right brake dragging it would hold 65mph... though it was a chore getting there.

I've also considered getting it running well 'nough for the trip and takin' it out to the Cabin. Then just riding back w/ a relative and leaving it for all to use as a run-about at the cabin. I'd of course have to buy-out my co-buyer in that case.

But there's also the chance we're both just going to rally the $242.50 each we spent on it out of it for a bit and then re-sell it.

-TJ

Thats why I said excluding extreme offroading, IE climbing non-road hills and such. The AWD will actually work better for snow driving, and loose terrain applications in on-road situations as well as dirt/gravel/etc. roads, and I specifically stated the VTD Auto tranny because the regular 4EAT is nothing special.

By your definition my steep gravel driveway would be considered extreme, especially after a good rain washes little gullleys in it. I would use the word extreme for stuff like the rubicon and other tougher trails. Heck I wouldnt even call my lifted t-cased wagon extreme. Its a good trail rig maybe.

By your definition my steep gravel driveway would be considered extreme, especially after a good rain washes little gullleys in it. I would use the word extreme for stuff like the rubicon and other tougher trails. Heck I wouldnt even call my lifted t-cased wagon extreme. Its a good trail rig maybe.

No, thats pretty much what I meant.