Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What could be causing my right rear tire to wear more, but only on the outside edge of the tread? The car (a '95 legacy sedan) was aligned this summer, and I just adjusted the tire pressure (33 front, 31 rear) 4 days ago. Also, I had them rotated at the last oil change. The tires were new when I bought the car with 81,000 miles on it, and I only have 97,000 on it now.

Thanks,

Brian M.

I actually just noticed it last night, so I don't know how long it has been. I usually notice stuff like that right away, but this one seemed to sneak up on me. I just happened to notice it as I was pumping gas, since I was standing right next to it. I looked closely at my other tires today, and none of them are exhibiting the same type of wear.

Brian M.

an out of blance tire won't wear like that. if it's uniform wear on the outside edge then it wouldn't be from a wobble either.

i'd put money on it that you got your alignment done and one of a few things happened;

-they only did a front end alignment

-they didn't do an alignment at all

-their alignment machine needs to be calibrated

-or, it just went out of alignment. that happens.

go get it lined up by another shop and make sure that they give you the angle readings when their done.

No one else drives the car, and I don't recall hitting any curbs. Nipper, what do you mean by "describe the wear?" The first set of tread blocks (about an inch or so wide) on the outside edge have worn down more than the rest of the tire's tread on that wheel. I would estimate the average tread depth at 6 or 7/32, but on the edge of that tire, it looks more like 4ish. I guess you could say that the wear is sort of "tapered" toward the outside edge within that inch that's worn more than the rest of the tire.

Thanks for all your helpful input!

Brian M.

there is inside wear, there is feathering, there is cupping, and there is outside wear. Inside and outside wear are obvious. Feathering looks like feathers on one of the edges of the tires, almost choppy. Cupping is when there are depressinons in the middle of the tire. Cupping is indicative of a bad trut or shock, and is caused only by that. All the others can also be caused bu a bad strut, but only cupping is 100% a strut.

If you can, stand behind the car, and have someone else dirve the car away slowly. look at how the tires track, and the rear of the car.

Iinside or outside wear, is the angle the tire contacts the road with. Feathering is caused by the tire being poinetd in from the 3-9 oclock refernce point.

Usually rear alignment is pretty solid, since they usually are fairly fixed in the angles they move. But as stated before, sometimes algnements just go out. Alsoe shocks wear, bushings fail.

Does the car track right from the drivers seat. Do you need to hold the steering whell slightly off center to make the car go straight. If the rear track is out, you wont feel a pull like the front, but you will have to correct for it.

And sometimes stuff happens

nipper