Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crazy transmission idea

NoahDL88

So, as i'll soon be in the land of plenty (Seattle) I'm hopeing to find 2 transmissions, and a few random parts.

I'd like to find a 5MT with 4.44 gears, along with a matching Rear Diff

A N/A 5mt D/R with the 1.59 low range

A LSD for the Front, i know this one is a pipe dream, but you never know.

So, you ask, what pray tell is my plan?

Front LSD

4.44 final drive

RX center locking Diff

1.59:1 low range.

now, putting this all behind a EJ22, and a locked rear end and who needs a "real" transfer case.

Assuming this is feasable, and or do-able with out millions of hours of work, i'm sure i'd be happy enough to build these for the board.

As of now i only know that the better low range can be swapped, so don't get your hopes up too high, and if anyone else wants to dive into this one, please by all means go to it.

ya i agree, finding 4.44 gears is harder than finding a LSD in a JY!!! but what your talking about is the ultimate subaru tranny for our cars, tons of crawl ratio, and a good highway gear to save gas, not to mention the FT4WD ability. if you could make them, i bet you'd have a line a block long with peole that are dying to buy one.

~Josh~

I have torn into those RX trannies quite a bit, the only way you can change the final drive in them IMO, is to get the final drive out of the FT 4wd XT6. The regular PT 4wd transmissions have a way different output shaft.

One thing I did notice, is that you CAN take the lowgear setup out of a PT and put it in the RX transmission, as the input shafts for the two are the same.

I seriously think the only way to get a better than 3.9 final drive in a FT 4wd subaru transmission is to either have a reduction gear between the engine and transmission, or simply have a machine shop make you a custom gear set $$$$$.

-Mike

So, as i'll soon be in the land of plenty (Seattle) I'm hopeing to find 2 transmissions, and a few random parts.

I'd like to find a 5MT with 4.44 gears, along with a matching Rear Diff

A N/A 5mt D/R with the 1.59 low range

A LSD for the Front, i know this one is a pipe dream, but you never know.

So, you ask, what pray tell is my plan?

Front LSD

4.44 final drive

RX center locking Diff

1.59:1 low range.

now, putting this all behind a EJ22, and a locked rear end and who needs a "real" transfer case.

Assuming this is feasable, and or do-able with out millions of hours of work, i'm sure i'd be happy enough to build these for the board.

As of now i only know that the better low range can be swapped, so don't get your hopes up too high, and if anyone else wants to dive into this one, please by all means go to it.

Cool. LSD front is as possible for the RX boxes as it is for the EJ 5mts. They are very common. Go get a Cusco, Kaaz, OBX-R, ATS, stock STi one...etc. As far as I know, the rear 4.444 swap should be simple. Pull a rear diff from an AT outback, and swap the diffs. Done.

FRONT...little harder. Pinion shafts are different. I'm sure it can be done.

yeah your not gonna find to many 4.44's in the US unless you ship em from japans WRX's...

*BUZZZZZER*

Wrong. They come in alot of items here in the USA. Pretty much any Auto Legacy with the EJ25 has 4.444. Outback, Legacy GT, Impreza 2.5 RS....Foresters...etc...

Oh, 5MT! The Outback XT, Forester XT, Baja Turbo.....some others. Lots on the road.

Noah....I posted in Vanislru's post over in off-road topics but this is not an easy bolt in task.....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48347&page=3

Also, FRONT LSD is very easy....I've done it 5 times now....

Shane's Forester is Still running just fine with his Hi-lo Lsd 3:90 trans.....

I can sell someone the components to stuff one into a trans, or a Re-sealed trans with LSD in it already....If Folks look back in the For sale Forum far enough they will see them for sale.....:)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32987&highlight=3%3A90+LSD+tranny

LAter, John