Ultimate Subaru Message Board

online parts sheets?

Got my "parts list" i bought off ebay today. it's pages torn out from a catalog! no idea what catalog this is from or wether some or all the parts are oem or not, but there are prices listed and give me a good idea as to what things might cost new and some nice blow apart diagrams for rookies like me. Worth the $3.50 i paid for it.

Originally posted by RedLance

I've got original dealer parts diagrams for 85 and 86 XT's on microfiche. I can make printouts at the library. What I really want is to know if I can have these digitized, so I can put them on the web. Anybody know?

Well, yes and no.

I looked into this pretty seriously four years ago. I bought 'fiche for my CX500, and was already running a site hosting FSM for several cars (the site exists only in this room, now, it's not online, but will be again RSN, maybe before the end of the year).

Anyway, the 'fiche I got I paid to have printed to paper, using the best tech I could find commeasurate with cost, I spent about $50 to have the 'fiche turned into a 2" stack of paper.

It was 'orrible, mate.

The quality of the stuff was pretty poor. I started in with it with photshop and quickly decided that my time is more valuable.

Now, that's not to say that I couldn't have done it -- I've got around 20 GB of scanned manuals online in this room, but the 'fiche stuff is pretty poor to read on paper, and I decided to abandon the project, sold off the CX500 stuff and recouped the cash.

[i wrote a php/MySQL backend as a display subsystem to my site, and I still own the code, but it really needs some polishing and features enhancement for the next stage. But here I am, typing away to you folks instead.]

Then there is the legality issue: you have to have permission to distribute, and putting it online is distribution. There are murky areas, and I work with those for the stuff I do. Maybe FHI doesn't care if you take their stuff and make it available worldwide, I don't know, but it behooves you to ask.

Tech changes, and maybe this is an easier process now than it was four years ago.