Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hitachi or Weber, and Why?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,290 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

Well, it is the First time I post a Comment... I live in Honduras, Central America... Subarus came here in Different mechanical ways than the USA versions. I got Two Subies: one is my Wife´s EA82 Carburated wagon 2WD That came from California, USA. Model 1985. The other is practically the Same wagon but the Honduran Model, 1986 with the ER27 engine.

The trouble I got is with the EA82 carbed one... The original carburetor (wich lasts fine ´till its 220,000+ Miles) is now ruined. I take it to a "Expert" mechanic, who mixed it up with Nissan´s carburetors parts... and broke it up...

The official Subaru Dealer for Honduras sells a "Half" carburator, which is the base with all needles, gaskets, etc.. in it, but it does not fit the USA one... So Now I have a Soup of Carburetor parts... And need your Help.

Wich one is better buy and why: A brand New Hitachi, or a Brand New Weber? I do preffer Weber, but someone told me that webers have a bad gas mileage history, and are unstable... Is it Right?

Please: Help me Soon... Thanx a Lot.

#2 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:56 PM

Bienvenidos. The Weber (I'm assuming you're talking about the 32/36 DGEV conversion) is less expensive and just as economical on fuel. You'll probably pick up a little extra power, as well, but it's not going to compare to the ER27, which makes me a little jealous.

#3 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,650 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

The weber as a lot of people have found gets about the same if not better gas milage than the hitachi. If you have to pass emissions then this might not be the carb for you cause it does not need emissions stuff run. The hitachi is cheaper and is a fine carb if rebuilt correctly. I have a ru-builders hitachi that runs real nice. Its all comes down to cost i think. If you want to pay a bit more and get better performance get the weber. If you want good performance for less than the weber get the hitachi. Try the search button. There is alot of info about this subject.

EDIT: All of my talk about webers has been about the 32/36 not the carter weber one barrel. If your talking about the one barrel go for the hitachi for sure. The one barrel is crap.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,332 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

can you take a picture of that ER27 and post it here?
that is crazy.

#5 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,290 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

Of Course, I have a nice set of Photos, and a Wallpaper I have made by myself... But tell me, How to open an Album Here? I am new to this site. Thanx... :)

#6 85Sub4WD

85Sub4WD

EA82 Junkie

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

My personal advice would be to dump the Hitachi and run with a Weber 32/26 DGV (or DGAV/whatever) because it would be a lot easier to rebuild in the future, and parts are easy to find for that carb. My expierence with Hitachi carbs has not been good, I went so far as to run the wires and convert to Fuel Injection - now I don't have to worry about all those nasty little adjustments. If you are interested in it, I think there is a manual on it - the Single-Point Fuel Injection (SPFI) or Throttle Body Injection (TBI) as most call it is a fairly simple conversion; you keep your heads and all, just change out your exhaust Y-pipe, and your intake manifold, in addition to the wiring, etc that needs to be done.
Good Luck!!
PS - the 2.7L Turbo Loyale wasn't stock was it :eek:
and if it wasn't good job on the mod :clap: I know that was NOT easy

#7 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

You can upload pictures to http://www.imageshack.us

Of Course, I have a nice set of Photos, and a Wallpaper I have made by myself... But tell me, How to open an Album Here? I am new to this site. Thanx... :)

#8 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,290 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:21 AM

Hi Guys! :)

Well... Actually I urgent Need the Complete Kit for my 1985 2WD Loyale GL, with the Mighty EA82... The Hitachi Died long time ago, But since I need often this car, I have it running with a Nissan´s Sentra 1600 Carb... and it runs PATHETIC!

Pathetic in this case means that this carb. does not have enough power for high revs. and changing needles only does it take more gas... for nothing happened... I hate this Situation, so I need Urgent a Weber One... Please.

I live in Honduras, Central America but there is no problem with internet buying, We here do it almost everyday... Our office have a Mailbox in Miami... So it will be Shipped to Miami and then here. No problem.

Please: Give me the Correct "Direct" Link to buy it inmediately, but I only want to Know Three things before buying:

• Is that Kit designed exactly to fit on my EA82 Engine, also the Air Filter Box?
  • Is that kit Complete? Because I live in Honduras and I don´t have time to wait for each part to come individually, I Need them All in one box.
  • How is the Gas Mileage diference between the Stock Hitachi and the Weber?
Last Info: I need the "Electric Choke Version" Thanx a Lot :)

P.S: There is a Image of the my other car, Subaru Loyale 2.7 ( It has the ER27 Engine from a XT6) Bye.

Posted Image
This car took a lot of Job of me... Is my Jewel.
You can Write me Directly to my e-mail: celeste_oso@yahoo.com
Is the one that appears in this Wallpaper I made.

#9 85Sub4WD

85Sub4WD

EA82 Junkie

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:34 AM

I KNOW Hal has a complete 1986 carb sitting in his JY - it is in the White 1986 Station Wagon on the Driver's side floor - there is also a tan 1986 station wagon that should still have its carb too - both are 4WD, but that should not make much of a difference - he does ship internationally, and he could get you a real, complete kit too his website is www.halspartsandservice.com many other board members also use www.1stsubaruparts.com

I know hal shipps FAST - in fact if you call your order in today, it could very well be shipped before the weekend, though I do not know how he handles international stuff for liability reasons - make sure they know it is a US model, or they won't be able to help you

had the question been asked a year ago, I could have shipped you my old carb parts and such, but I discarded them long ago ....

Good Luck

#10 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,290 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:47 AM

Well... Hi Everybody.

Let me Tell you all, that the Continuity of this Topic, now is in Here:

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=53143

Please, Continue there to see the Progress of the "Weberized" Sub.

Thanx all :) Bye...

http://w11.photobuck.../JesZeK/Subaru/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users