Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Brat Won't Start (non-turbo) Help?

Pulled away from a stop sign, thought I was in 1st gear but was in 3rd and the engine stalled. Tried to re-start to no avail? It cranks fine.

- I get only 1 pulse of 12V at the fuel pump at ignition?

- I get only 1 spark out of the coil at ignition?

Anyone have any insight? Timing Belt? Coil? Fuel Pump? Fuel Pump Control Relay?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Pulled away from a stop sign, thought I was in 1st gear but was in 3rd and the engine stalled. Tried to re-start to no avail? It cranks fine.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Sounds like a distibutor problem.You don`t have any crappy timing belts.

If the single spark happens as you let off the key after cranking the starter over, I would look towards the ignition switch as a good culprit. There are 2 sets of contacts in the switch to power the coil, one is for ignition during cranking of starter, other one is for the actual running of the engine in the "on" position.

If the single spark happens as you let off the key after cranking the starter over, I would look towards the ignition switch as a good culprit. There are 2 sets of contacts in the switch to power the coil, one is for ignition during cranking of starter, other one is for the actual running of the engine in the "on" position.

Nope.... it sparks at the beginning of the cranking only once? I should be seeing consistent sparking from the coil - right?

No timing belt in your Brat if you still have the EA81 engine installed.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

It could be your ignition control module. That is the little plastic thing in the distributor with two wires going to it and a hole for the distributor shaft to go through.

It contains a circuit inside that decides when to fire off a spark. When this circuit gets little cracks in it then it starts to die at the most inopportune times, like while sitting at a light.

The part runs like $160 retail, but I just scored a brand new one on eBay for $20. :brow:

Good luck.

If you have the hitachi distributor and need the ignition module (common failure item), I have a used good one for $25 if you need it.

Thanks for all the advise.... I'll do some testing tonight.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that this Brat is out of California therefore it probably has some "California Only" hardware on it.

Results soon.

I had a similar problem like that a few months ago in my 84 Hatch. I turned it over and never got it to start, then I replaced the coil, no good. Turns out the wire that runs from the coil to the distributor went bad, replaced it and fired right up. Never can hurt to try?

I had a similar problem like that a few months ago in my 84 Hatch. I turned it over and never got it to start, then I replaced the coil, no good. Turns out the wire that runs from the coil to the distributor went bad, replaced it and fired right up. Never can hurt to try?

This is where a healthy selection of jumper wires comes in handy. I rigged some up just the other day to hot wire the fuel pump in case my FPCU ever goes out again. Stash them somewhere in the back and you are only a quick hot wire away from getting back on the road.

This is where a healthy selection of jumper wires comes in handy. I rigged some up just the other day to hot wire the fuel pump in case my FPCU ever goes out again. Stash them somewhere in the back and you are only a quick hot wire away from getting back on the road.

That's how it is in the back of my hatch. Got a full ratchet set, jumper cables, 2 flashlights and a chilton's subaru manual in there. Right next to my 2x4 for a hatch-prop.