Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is it worth it???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:50 AM

Found this 95 Impreza AWD 2.2 (wrecked) and ready for the crusher next week. It has 51K on it.

Question...I was thinking about pulling the transmission, (4EAT) and keeping it as a spare for my Impreza. (Or for someone in the future)

I can have it for $25 if I pull it! (the engine is out already) I'm kinda concerned because the trans selector won't go into park. But then a again, the shifter is kinda screwed up in the car. The axles both turn freely.

Should I get it? Is it worth the trouble? Do you think the park thing might be serious?

Thanks , Todd

#2 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:31 AM

The scrap value of a 4EAT is more then $25; when the price of Aluminum is up. You may want to get it, find a way to test it and if it's bad scrap it out.

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:07 AM

There are many reasons why the shifter wont go into park, none of them having to do with the tranny itself. Disconnect the linkage and see if it will go into park then.
i would snag the tranny for 25.00. Even if the tranny is bad at that milegae the AWD clutch pack is still good and thats a good chunk of change right there

nipper

#4 JT95

JT95

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Bowling Green

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

For, $25, get with a smile. See what else you can get off the car while you are at it. All the little stuff like emblems don't hold any value after it hits the crusher, so the yard usually gives that stuff to you if you're buying something else.

#5 a97obw

a97obw

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:27 AM

Look around and find the engine. Hell, I'll give $50 for it if you're getting the transmission for $25!:banana: (But I think some dude with a Legacy Outback has already found the goods!)

#6 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

I think I will get it.......

Thanks guys!

Todd

#7 gbrand

gbrand

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • fort worth area

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:49 PM

This wouldnt by chance be the silver car down at Apache(?) on 287 business in Mansfield/Kennadale would it? I got my "Dogbone" stabilizer bar link off it last year, was wrecked pretty good but still had engine in it at the time. Thought about snagging some other stuff, but couldn't justify....

#8 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:59 PM

Nope....it's a car in Dallas.

What is that car at Apache?

#9 gbrand

gbrand

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • fort worth area

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

Car was a silver, new gen non-legacy guess mid 90's-(Impreza?) Had a pretty clean looking engine in it, had been hit pretty good in front I think grill and left side fender area pretty screwed up. Wheels gone.

One thing i liked about that yard is many of the cars are on concrete, so getting parts from underneath not nearly as dirty as being in mud.

Sorry I dont remember more details...don't go out to yards much anymore. Last trip I made was for tailight assy for my 99 LeSabre, only 1 available in ENTIRE DFW area....

#10 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:09 AM

Yea, I think the local concrete trucks empty out there. It's better than mud for sure!!

I remember going there many time back in the late 90s. They had a stach of Gen 1s and earlier back in the far left corner of the yard. It's a fun yard...never know what you may find.

I don't get out that much anymore either though....age maybe?? Who knows. But I always have fun when I go!

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users