Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD diff troubles: axle stub came out!

Boy I'm surprized that you didn't call me about this one (actually looking at the time you posted this, I'm glad you didn't call). I'm sure the rear diff is the orginal, and if so, the stub axles are bolted to the differential. It could be like McBrat said, but you didn't say anything about finding a bolt in the stub axle. It could be that the last person who worked on the rear diff, never put the bolt back in. The main axle would have held it in place, so you wouldn't have noticed anything. I'd first look to see if there is a bolt in the stub axle, if not, then shine a flashlight into the hole where the axle came out, you should be able to see where the bolt would go. If you can see the hole, then the bolt is missing, if you see the end of the broken bolt, then you'll have your work cut out for you. You'll have to remove the rear diff, take the carrier out, and drill and extract the part of the bolt still in the carrier. You will probably have to buy the bolt from Subaru or get one out of an open diff at PAP.

drill and extract the part of the bolt still in the carrier.

I'd be careful there. We ran into this on the Rubicon, and rather than make a mess inside the diff and possibly leave metal shavings inside, (super bad for a LSD) we took the entire thing apart. That one was not only broken inside, but twisted itself and became wedged in there good. After taking the whole thing apart, wee had to weeld a bolt onto it to be able to get leverage to pull it out.

Should be a lot easier in your garage than it was for us on the side of the trail.

I still have the tool if you need for teh stub bolt. Just have to get it back from Sven down the street.

uh huh...sure mike! I know it was you!

SO then...i pull the diff, take the cover off, and hope the bolt is just plain missing. I have an open diff in the garage i can scavange for parts. What is this special tool needed? that funny torx socket thing?

I should probally fix the leaks it has too...huh?

Zap, I told him to remove the carrier, that is the same as taking the guts out. I would never suggest that he drill and extract will it was still in the rear diff.

OOPPPSSS, I forgot that this was Mike's old RX. :lol:

Yea, like McBrat said, you don'y need to pull the diff to see if the bolt is missing or not.

So, this is what happened.

I figured out that just the head of the bolt was stuck in the stub axle. The rest of the bolt was still threaded into the diff. But! no drilling was needed. They were less than hand tight and just spun right out.

After it was apart, i ran to Caleb's to pick up Zap's torx socket. Got back home (about 10:45) took the bolts out of my spare diff, and threw those in. Good as new!

Currently running boosted RX without rear axles. I have to have the diff locked to get it to go anywhere. Don't ask why. Just nod, you'll understand eventually ;)

Torque steer is fun! I can't imagine trying to drive a turbo honda, that would be scary! FWD+Turbo= no traction ever!