Ultimate Subaru Message Board

water injection system

I picked up a holley water injection system from my buddies dad. i hooked it all up. i dont have an intercooler in yet but ive got one lined up. i played with it a bit and with a little extra boost. 10psi and no knock. its a nice little setup. i dont think you can get them anymore. i think its a pretty old system but i cant wait to play with it some more. just thought you guys might be interested. :burnout:

I remember running an edlebrock water injection system back when i was terrorizing 5.0 Mustangs in my turbo'ed 2.2 liter Shelby Charger. I think it was an '87. It was the Turbo I engine, which is not intercooled. My brother had the same car, with the same mods, but was intercooled instead of water injected.(and had to add a HIDEOUS hood scoop!) My car was More Responsive out of the hole, and just seemed to get a little Extra Bang at top end. He got all technical, but in english it came out to the extra plumbing for the intercooler added to the turbo lag, and the water injection raised the over all compression minutely, since water doesn't compress. And, yes! Water/Alcohol was the way to go! With a Mopar Performance Cam, Header, 14 PSI computer, and a K&N Filter I pulled 14.6 quarter at 96 mph. With water injection it dipped to 13.9 right at 100 mph. Sureprisingly, I never raced my brother at the track. But, I'd go water injection of intercooling first. It's cheaper, and a lot easier to install. If you don't like it, you disconnect it, and fill in one hole on your ontake. Intercooling is a bit more work to add, and considerably more expensive. I don't think water injection & Nitrous work well together though. Something about water Freezing...

Fat Tony - http://www.smashbandits.com:headbang:

A friend of mine was running a Holley water injection unit on his high-compression Camaro. It worked pretty well, until the day the control box went nuts and hydro-locked his engine by dumping the entire contents of the reservoir into the engine at idle.

There was no long term damage to the engine, but what a pain! Holley supplied him with a new controller under warranty.

Just keep an ear out for the pump motor running when it shouldn't, like at idle.

water injection is a poor substitute for proper intercooling.

this is true. It can cause more problems than its worth if things go wrong. I would not use it on my daily driver.

I might use it on a car I was going to intentionaly beat up though. just like NOS.

what about an intercooler sprayer? Thats sounds like a better option to me.

Water / alky injection is awesome, BUT you should always run it AFTER the intercooler because it condenses in the intercooler and then goes into the engine in gulps, not good.

Also, injecting it into the throat of the turbocharger is bad for the blade's leading edge. You figure the blades are moving close to the speed of sound and then they slam into a small water droplet? With that said, I have done it many times on jetboat engines and I just fabbed up a turbo setup on an air-cooled Baja VW that has water injection spraying directly into the turbo. This is not a daily driver and there is no intercooler. The system is way simple and cheap:

-Windshield washer bottle and pump, 12 psi water pressure.

-Hobbs switch that powers cold-start injector also runs washer pump, triggers at 4psi. Good to have an LED on the dash to let you know when the pump is getting power.

-Home-built brass spray nozzle (.020") designed for fan spray. You can also use a spray paint can nozzle, just make DAMN sure you don't get it sucked into the turbo. They suck really hard, I've put my hand on the opening of a turbo and it grabbed my hand from 2" away!

-The $.99 bottle of windshied washer fluid works awesome and doesn't damage the engine.

-Mount the bottle as low as possible, you don't want the water going in when the engine's off do you?

-now feel free to up the boost and/or ignition timing!

That's the best-working budget system, the high-dollar stuff does work better but you are looking at about $200 instead of maybe $40.

They have high pressure pumps so you can inject directly into the throttlebody, the windshield washer pumps can't push past the boost.

Let me clarify:

the cold-start injector is for fuel only (this is on a carbed system and the cold-start injector is for enrichment) using one for water/alky mix will corrode the insides and it will fail. I just have the hobbs switch doing 2 things at once, that's all.

-Hobbs switch that powers cold-start injector also runs washer pump, triggers at 4psi. Good to have an LED on the dash to let you know when the pump is getting power.

im not sure where to put my resivoir. right now its mickey mouse mounted but once i get my intercooler it will have to be moved. i was thinking if i got a cone air filter it would fit in beside it. but right now the big rump roast silencer is in the way. the resivoir is supposed to last for about as long as a full take of gas.