Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 carb swap

this artical mentions the hitachi equipped on nissans pre 73 (if i read it right) what model carb do we have considering our cars were made a decade later would we not already have a better carb then the one mentioned. (if i misunderstood let me know, i'm still learning bout all this)

I'm sure anything could be made to work with enough effort, but why not just put on the stock fuel injection from a loyale and call it good?

I suspect the mount is different between the two types of Hitachi's - as it is between the two types for the EA series. Probably would need to make an adaptor plate, and if you are going that route, then just get the pre-made adaptor from Redline for the DGV, DFV series, and put on a Holley/Weber 5200 off an 80's ford (DFV series licensed by Holley). That will have all the "emmissions" stuff you refer to, which really only amounts to the passive evap systems - float vent solenoid, and idle cut solenoid. Personally I don't count that as "emmissions", but maybe that's just me. As far as I'm concerened, unless you are talking about the feedback carbs with the computer, the carb has little if nothing to do with the emmissions systems on early subaru's. They are pretty much standalone systems that will work with any carb given they are connected properly.

The Hitachi's (all of them) are overly complex carbs, and the vacuum secondary is not fun to drive after you are used to a mechanical on the Weber, or the very large throttle body of the SPFI - both have a ton more low end grunt than the Hitachi's do.

GD

Maybe I am reading wrong but I read it that the DCH340 is a later version than the DAF328 that is on my 86 wagon. I thought I also read somewhere that it would bolt right on to. That it has the same mounting. The only thing I thought might be a problem was the jet size. Time for more research I guess. Thanks for the replies.

... The only thing I thought might be a problem was the jet size. Time for more research I guess. Thanks for the replies.

O.K: Jet Sizes:

on standard EA82 with hitachi craps, secondary uses 160 and primary 119.

I just wanna ask ya Somethin´: Why don´t you go straigt to Weber, Instead of tryin´ with another hitachi, that is very complicated too, like the original one...?

Anyway... Good Luck!

:)

True...

So... '70s and '80s Datsun and Nissan trucks used a Hitachi carb that is larger than the EA82 one, but still bolts directly up to the EA82 carb intake manifold. I've never run one,except for a Nissan´s (Sunny or Sentra of 1992) 1600 Hitachi carb. in my EA82, it did performed very good, the over increased gas consumption, due to Smaller Venturi, that means less air = More gasoline in.

I found this information in older threads and websites: The Nissan Pick-Up Truck Hitachi Carb. from the 80´s to Early 90´s, is a 30/34 where the EA82 carb is a 28/32 and the EA81 carb is a 26/30. The Nissan trucks have a 2.0L engine, so I bet the jetting will be pretty close to correct. Also, since they're trucks they don't have as much emissions crap attached to them. some with no ECU.

It seems like maybe another japanese trucks and SUVs from the same time may have used these Hitachi carbs. too... but you must do a "Junkyard Safari" to search for the one you want.

The EA82 Hitachi is a 28/32 (on the manual trans cars and 28/30 on the A/T). The EA81 is a 26/30....

Here's a list of larger Hitachi carbs that I Found in another Thread:

81-84 Isuzu Imark 1.8L DCH-340

81-82 Isuzu P'up 1.8L DCH-340

83-87 Isuzu P'up 1.9L DCH-340

85-90 Isuzu P'up and Trooper II 2.3L DCR-384

84-87 Isuzu Trooper II 1.9L DCR-340

81 Datsun 510 2.0L DCR-342

82-86 Nissan Stanza 2.0L DCR-342

75-80 Datsun Pickup 2.0L DCH-340

81-83 Nissan Pickup 2.2L DCR-342

83-85 Nissan Pickup 2.4L DCR-384

82-84 Chevy S-10 1.9L DCH-340

80-86 Nissan Pulsar 2.0L DCR-342

80-86 Nissan Pulsar 2.2L DCR-360

83-85 Nissan Pulsar 2.4L DCR-384

I'm pretty sure the DCH-340 will fit onto a EA82 manifold. From what I've seen, the model numbers of Hitachi carbs tell you the throttle bore sizes as follows:

First 2 digits are the larger bore. Last digit is the last digit of the smaller bore, so you have to assume the first digit of the smaller bore. So an EA81 DCP-306 is a 26/30, an EA82 DCZ-328 is a 28/32, etc.

If anyone had tried one of these carbs, PLEASE let us know how it works.

Good Luck! :)

if i can help it, i wont switch to the weber. i have hopes of actually registering my car as a collector but i cant do that with the weber on it. but with the hitachi, i've got a good shot. (the ease of passing emissions is nice too)

Sure you can - just cut out the bottom of the stock air box to accept the weber instead of the Hitachi, or get one of the weber adaptors that converts to a round filter inlet. This way they will never know what's under there.... like this:

weber_adaptor.jpg

GD

Ok I have a new DCH340 Hitachi carb on the way and an article about tuning it if I need to. I have never messed with a carburetor much. I am sure I will have alot of fun (short for frustration). If it does bolt right up it will be interesting to see how well it runs. Anyone have any tips to share that might make it easier? I appreciate all the responses and information this board has.

Anyone have any tips to share that might make it easier?

Gallon of gas and a match....

Seriously - how much did this carb cost you? I just did a whole weber conversion for less than $200....

Not saying it can't be done because of course it can - it's just the law of diminishing returns. If you are going to all that trouble to pull the carb off and put another on, then why not the Weber, or heck - why not fuel injection - it's a straight bolt on.

You will want a new base gasket (two of them actually), and be careful not to break the "plastic" spacer on the Hitachi. You may also have to swap around the throttle cable adaptors.

GD

I got the carb from a surplus dealer for $40 plus $15 shipping on EBAY. It is supposed to be brand new and the person had over 300 or was it 3000 ratings with 100% satisfaction. So for $55, I should be able to replace my carb, maybe get a bit more power, and hopefully not have to modify much. It is supposed to bolt right on and use the same air cleaner. I know I will have to do something for the linkage. Life rarely is as simple as it is supposed to be so I also bought a rebuildable Weber 32/36 DGV (I think) for $30. I have a friend who wants it if I don't use it. But I guess its mostly about, can I get something different to work. Thanks everyone for all the comments. Its going to be an adventure.....

Cool - well that's definately cheap enough for a NEW carb. If it works that will be a real cheap upgrade.

One thing you can also do - if it's like the Subaru Hitachi's then wrap a peice of wire coat hanger around the linkage so the secondary opens mechanically instead of with the vacuum actuator. That will give you better throttle response and low end torque.

GD