Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello

I have a question regarding the parking brake light on the dash of my ´96 OBW that is staying on for ever-increasing periods of time while driving. It can stay on up to 30 minutes while the car is in operation. The mechanic here said initially that it probably was frozen (he looked at it in Feb.) and we just shouldn't use it during the winter months, but now the problem is still persisting in the warmer months. Do brake cables rust on these or is just the 'fairy brake mother' telling me that it is now time for new rear pads? I just checked the pads and there aren't a whole lot left on them.

Thanks!

Sweden

On every car i can think of, that light pulls double duty as an indicator for when your fluid is running low. Which can indicate low fluid or that the pads have worn down enough to need fluid to displace the difference

You need a new mechanic. First off the parking brake light switch is inside the car, where it cant freeze. It has nothing to do with freezing cables or the mechanisim itself. If you had no brake cables attached the light would still work.

Secondly the brake fluid level switch is part of the cup in the master cylinder. Again its under the hood and in a fairly warm place. Not using your parking brake in winter, i hope you dont have a stick.

You have either a lazy switch in the master cylinder resivoir cover, or you are low on brake fluid like stated above.

nipper

The switch is under the console near the pivot point of the parking brake lever. You might be able to see it by pushing aside the rubber opening the handle goes through. It's more likely that your brake fluid is low. I would check that first.

I have a similar problem on my '93 Legacy also. When the outside temperature is around 60 degrees or less (which by the way is really cold for South Florida:D ) the parking brake light comes on. When it warms up a bit later in the day the light goes away. All the fluid levels are fine. I now use the idiot light as a poorman's outside air temperature guage :brow:

I have a similar problem on my '93 Legacy also. When the outside temperature is around 60 degrees or less (which by the way is really cold for South Florida:D ) the parking brake light comes on. When it warms up a bit later in the day the light goes away. All the fluid levels are fine. I now use the idiot light as a poorman's outside air temperature guage :brow:

Just for kicks, try disconnecting the fluid level switch and see if the light goes out

nipper

Thanks Nipper, but I'm afraid it's gonna be a long wait as we Floridians won't be able to enjoy the sub 60s temperatures until next year :lol:

heheh better get that snow blower now, the way the freaky weather is going :)

nipper

• 5 months later...

As simple as fluid in the reservior, nothing on the switch. Actually, I just had the rotors turned, and I noticed the other day the light 'on' again. I need to go out and check the fluid level again.

Thanks for the reminder! Good luck!

Sweden