Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first real off road experience.

sayn3ver

So anyways, i started looking for real, legal, offroad places to go in New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the country. Anyways, i have heard from a buncha people since i was little about going to the pine barrens, but it never occured to me where was the "pine barrens" ? Low and behold, wharton state forest, the largest single track of land and home to legal wheeling, was only about a 30 minute drive from my house(at night, with traffic at 7pm...about an hour). Anyways, i got bored last friday night and drove down to peek around. i soon realized that i was gonna get myself into trouble real fast and decided to come back the next day. So i set out saturday around noon, car packed full of supplies, gear, etc, in my stock impreza and headed out to see what i could find.

I was sent with a mission to see if there was any good wheeling there for my brothers group of 4x4 friends in full size pickups. I was there all day until dusk and boy was it fun. I didnt do anything crazy

since i am stock, on all seasons, bymyself, with no winch and a cell phone with no service out there(gotta get a cb).

Anyways, what a blast, i got a few pics but i haven't configed my computer for my digi cam(running linux). I can't wait for all my new goodies to get here so i can go back with a group of ppl and get real muddy.

Sorry for the long post, i was just amazed at the hundreds of acres of wheelable terrain in my "backyard".

Btw, i got lots of looks from guys on dirt bikes and quads and in jeeps and full size pick ups. Prolly thought i was stupid(i am alittle).

Its fun and i like that i my subaru can fit on small tight trails. I do need to get a snorkel setup for some of the deep water out in the pine barrens though.

thats cool and welcome to the board.

so what kind and year soobie are you running???????????? stock soobies due pretty good offroad and with some kind of traction tire( like a snow tire thats rated for mud and snow) on it helps for traction too.

the looks from jeepers and other offroaders are the best part of the wheeling with a subaru.

There are two types of people. The ones that tell you to go back b/c they don't think you can make it or the ones who egg you on b/c they want to see you stuck.

On an stock Outback Sport, pick a good line and stay on the skinny pedal. Picking the right line is what is key when you have low ground clearance.

Regardless, you will have people with their jaws open and eyes popped out.

BW

Sounds like a great place to wheel. There's a place 30mins from me that's pretty good. But it is only like 200 acres, and gets boring... :( Need to find more places.. You'll have to get your PC working and get the pics to us. Someone needs to set up a camera on their car that takes pictures of lifted jeep drivers faces. :)

You just hit the gas and steer.
Reminds me of automatics....

Hey, i have an automatic. I learned to drive stick and drove stick for2 years, but when i was looking for an impreza(for 6 months) the only thing local was a auto impreza L.

I don't like the auto as much as a manual trans, but its not that bad(off road anyways). My next car and any future cars will be stick tho.

yea, i need to get on that 4wd mode. I need to get my trans flushed first and install a tranny cooler though. I have that dreaded duty c solanoid problem. And i think the tranny gets too warm as it is off road even without the 4wheel drive lock.

I am up to go anytime. I like the idea of having another subaru with me, or multiple. I don't mind going with my bro and his friends in their trucks, but i think it would be more fun with rigs with similar abilities.

My new tires should be here tomorow and my new struts as well. I just need to order springs/find springs and i am pretty much good to go. Before i do anything serious i wanna pick up a good come-a-long(see my other thread in this section) and a recovery strap and i'll hit Wharton up anytime. Its so big.