Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel door latch doesn't work ?

just got a new XT6 the other day..finally found the AWD Auto i wanted.

the fuel door latch doesn't work. i push it and nothing happens. never looked at one of these jokers before, any clues?

did a search and couldn't find anything...except posts where people didn't know how to open it!

I've had two cars where they didn't work quite right or at all. One of them I still have. First one was a broken cable, 2nd one is on my lifted sedan...and the little pin thing that holds it shut doesn't like to move sometimes. Still need to get out there and lube it (though I have gotten good at getting it open with my key if needed, kinda acting like a flat blade). Not sure if any of that is actually helpful though.

how did you know it was a broken cable and where did it break? the latch at the cap seems to work...it holds the door shut but won't release it. it pries open like you said.

Well was a long time ago on my 85 T-Sedan, but if I remember correctly I unbolted the latch and it came out with about 3 feet of cable. So that answered my question on that one.

The one on my lifted sedan works (sometimes) just not all the time so I think I just need to lube the latch and possibly the handle.

Again not much help..

Does your latch move in and out freely? Have you had someone else push on the handle to see if it actually tries to move?

I had one ona wagon where the spring on the door was broken so when I triggered the release it would let go but then the door wouldn't spring open... I could trigger it and then somebody else could open the door... 2-person job though... I just bought a new fuel door at the junkyard with the spring on it...

--Spiffy

i have an 87 GL-10 that has large rust-holes at the bottom corner on either side of the rear window.. so i can see EXACTLY why MY fuel door doesnt operate (didnt, i actually fixed it about an hour before seeing this post) The cable that opens the trunk and the cable that opens the fuel door are coaxial; the outer sleeve operates the fuel door and the inner ire opens the trunk. on my car, the collar that held the outer sleeve onto the fuel door lever had broken. I safety wired the two bits back together, and it seems to be working fine now.. but ive just been reaching into my rust hole and pulling the fuel door lever manually. the rust holes proved a boon, in a sense.

shawn

huh, just went thru a similar problem with mine - got harder and harder to open...and would have to pull the little pin back out with a pair of needlenose pliers to latch the door again....

here is how I solved my problem latch on my 89 wagon...

first, get the fuel door open

next, pull the interior panel back enough to get at the filler neck area. (requires removing a few screws and raising the trim around the window...on an XT, coupe, or sedan, it may be a little different)

Then, pull the latch mechanism out of the area so you can get to it with some PB Blaster, or your favorite lubricant. Mine was rusted up pretty bad and would barely move - after a couple shots of PB and working the latch back and forth manually a few times it works like new again.

Reverse steps to re-install...

you should also be able to open the fuel door from the inside this way - for those that cant get the latch to work at all....

Hate to hijack but I have a similar problem on my 86 gl. My pin that holds back the fuel door was snapped off by the previous owner and I was thinking about taking the door off all together and putting on one of those aftermarket lock/tap to open doors like you see on some trucks. Has any one done this, and if so where did you get the new fuel door?

Yeah, I've had this problem on our 86 GL wagon for a couple years, now. When there's not a second person around to open the fuel door I can do it myself two ways:

-either prop the handle up with my wallet, then go around and open the door or

-put a screwdriver in the bottom of the door just far enough to apply outward pressure to the door and hold the screwdriver, then go lift up on the handle - screwdriver drops to the ground as the door comes open.

Wish I had a replacement spring, though... I'll find a spare one of these days and fix it right:) Rick

you should push the latch to open the gas door, and pull to open the trunk. at least, thats how it is on my 87 gl-10. it WAS broken, and only the trunk pull worked.. because the fuel door cable had broken. to see this, you have to look up into that general area of the vehicle from inside the trunk.. there maybe some plastic panel to remove, but you should be able to see it eventually.. My car has a big rust hole on the outside, and i could reach right in and actuate the lever that opened the door, so i never had a problem opening it. I think thats funny. i need to get pics of the entire setup to show you, because i have a unique perspective...

you should push the latch to open the gas door, and pull to open the trunk. at least, thats how it is on my 87 gl-10. it WAS broken, and only the trunk pull worked.. because the fuel door cable had broken. to see this, you have to look up into that general area of the vehicle from inside the trunk.. there maybe some plastic panel to remove, but you should be able to see it eventually.. My car has a big rust hole on the outside, and i could reach right in and actuate the lever that opened the door, so i never had a problem opening it. I think thats funny. i need to get pics of the entire setup to show you, because i have a unique perspective...

daeron, that is funny. Would like to see the pics.:banana:

On our GL's - both the GL wagon and the GL-10 wagon, the fuel door comes open when you pull up on the latch. I notice that the latch can push down, too, but don't see that it's opening up the rear hatch, so don't know what that's all about.. maybe ours are reversed from standard. Later, Rick

i have a gl-10 sedan, the magon might not have had a cockpit latch.. it wouldnt be the first vehicle made that way by any means... but the sedan has a trunk, and those usually do have latches... i hadnt thought of that possibility, honestly.. but before i fixed mine (remember its a coaxial cable, with a central wire opening the trunk and an outer sleeve opening the gas) i could simply grab the entire cable through the rust-hole and pull it to open the trunk.. because the retaining collar at the end of the sleeve (to hold it onto the gass door release lever) was split, it didnt open the fuel door, just the gas.. so its possible that our mechanics are reversed, and you have a similar problem...

so does anyone know if the wagons had a latch to release the hatch or not?

i pull from inside and nothing happens on the latch, it doesn't move at all.

for now i took the nut off the little latch that catches the door and pressed it in the body and took the spring off the door. took all of 25 seconds while the gas was pumping. at least the door opens and shuts by hand now. i may revisit this someday or leave it as is.

• 7 years later...