Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy lift

offroadsubaruguy

IIRC, the springs will give you another inch or so.

I'd heard that PK was working on a legacy lift. but I haven't heard anything about it. you might be able to contact AA (call them). they might have something.

problem with body lifting a legacy, is you still can't put any bigger tires on it. the spring perches on the struts are the big limitation for tire size. you can fit tires that rub on the perches into the stock wheelwells with pretty minimal trimming. and I don't see the point in body lifting something, if you still can't put bigger tires on it (kinda reminds me of some of the fullsize pickups running around town on stock street tires, and 6" of gap between the rear bumper at tailgate)

also, My dad has purchased an outback suspension setup. and it appears to be identical to the system on his '94. but we haven't installed it yet...

I just bought a lifted 90 leg. It has two inch body lift( custom made) and ob struts and springs. Chux is right. It is running 215/75/15 which is a 26.5 inch tire. I can squeeze 27'x8.5 on it with the perches. I think i might look into modifiying some coil overs to fit to take care of the spring perch issue. I think with that, and some minor fender massaging i could get 29's on it. But i may have to lift it more. Not sure yet.

It is definately lifted when next to a stock leg, and it has good ground clearence but definately not what an ea car is as far as lifts go. But is got an ej22 and mine has a d/r trans in it so i thinks it's worth looking into. ;)

I am going to be looking into it next year.

i realize that the spring perch is th big limiting factor, but i mainly want something that will give me a little more tire clearance once i put the bigget tires on... ground clearance isnt the problem, its the distance from the top of the tire to th top of the fender and how much it rubs when at full compression, thats the problem...... but im always up for trying stuff out, so i geuss i will look around some and see what i can find.....

I think aa makes a kit. it;s expensive though. Lift blocks and a little welding time and some bolts and your there. Like i said i have a 2 inch lift a 98 ob struts. makes about 3 inches. really good fender/well clearence. i am sure i could get 27.5 " tires on it. or at least i'll try! I might have to modify the spring perches a little on the rear. the front seems ok.

I think aa makes a kit. it;s expensive though. Lift blocks and a little welding time and some bolts and your there. Like i said i have a 2 inch lift a 98 ob struts. makes about 3 inches. really good fender/well clearence. i am sure i could get 27.5 " tires on it. or at least i'll try! I might have to modify the spring perches a little on the rear. the front seems ok.

you say it's got OB struts...springs too?

Sorry for the stupid noob question but I have to ask. I recently bought a 96 Legacy L sedan 5spd and want to lift it up to stock Outback (maybe higher later on). Do I have to find Outback sedan struts or will the wagon struts work? What all do I have to change? I am not looking at doing any major offroading, I just wanted some extra clearance for snow and rally-x.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Todd

not sure about outback but most every other legacy you can swap struts across sedan to wagon. some will tell you they are different but they should be compatible if you use the whole strut assembly.

anyone have an idea how much travel legacy axles can safely cycle? I'm thinking that there are some long strut inserts out there plus some 10 or 12" 150lb coilover springs would flex pretty good. half considering lifting my wagon but will only do it if I can get a bit more travel out of it, and if the axles can accomodate that.

could some truck shocks like rancho rs9000's work in a strut capacity or would the side loads be too much? shock could mount inside a strut body and have a pivot at the strut top.:rolleyes:

215/75/15 which is a 26.5 inch tire. I can squeeze 27'x8.5 on it with the perches.

215/75/15's calculate up to 27.7" tall, and 27's actually measure up to about 26.5.. So is AA even producing ej lifts anymore? i thought they like were getting out of the subaru business or something, lol.

215/75/15's calculate up to 27.7" tall, and 27's actually measure up to about 26.5.. So is AA even producing ej lifts anymore? i thought they like were getting out of the subaru business or something, lol.

oh ok. i used a tire calculator and that had them at 26.5.

i might try to fit 28x8.5 and see what happens. :)

According to aa's site they have ej lift kits.

Boy its been a long time since i've posted here. Anyways, heres some answers to your questions. We did make lift kits for Legacy's unfortunately we only sold one and it was to my employee and this was his car. The set up has to be custom built. Its a 4" unibody/subframe lift with modified rear strut housing that allows you to put forrester struts under the vehicle. With the combination we could fit 29" super swampers without rubbing.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8751&cat=500&ppuser=10906

We were going to sell our lift kit components off, but we decided to hold onto them because we think one day the market may be big enough to support a subaru lift kit market. We don't know when we will make them again, but maybe sooner than later?!

• 2 weeks later...