Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Disk Brake conversion on 85 Brat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rbeyerbubba

Rbeyerbubba

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Williamsown, New Jersey

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:07 AM

I recently printed the procedure from this site on the conversion and I have a question about donor cars. I have located an 86 Turbo XT6 that has rear disk brakes but the wheels have a five bolt lug patern. Since I wish to stay with the stock wheels, can I swap out the hubs and rotors from front wheels of EA81's.

#2 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:39 AM

No, you can't. They are different and smaller. What you want to look for is any EA82 car. Specifically any wagon, sedan, coupe or XT(not the XT6) in turbo form. Almost all of them had the rear disc brakes. 2wd or 4WD will work but if you need 4WD you'll need at least the rear hubs. All the rest of the parts are the same.

You may want to share the locale of the XT6 as many of the board members are looking to do a 5 lug conversion.

Good luck!

#3 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:55 PM

Rich, It's about damn time you showed up here. (For those that don't know, Rich bought my old gray BRAT and not a day has gone by that I haven't regretted selling it)

BTW, It's an 86 BRAT unless you are talking about your old one. AND, I know where there is a disc brake setup off of an XT. One last thing regarding the swap, It is my understanding from others who have done the swap that the backing plate on a 2wd turbo differs from the backing plate on a 4wd turbo.

#4 Rbeyerbubba

Rbeyerbubba

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Williamsown, New Jersey

Posted 13 November 2003 - 06:58 AM

The yard that has the XT6 Turbo 4wd also has a GL10 Turbo 2WD Wagon. Can I use the backing plates from the XT6 along with the hubs and rotors from the GL10 to complete the conversion.

#5 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:13 AM

Actually, you can use the backing plates, rotors and calipers from the GL-10.. but you have to find a 4WD car to get the hubs from.. don't think the XT6 will work for that.. but I could be mistaken.. I was once

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,441 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 13 November 2003 - 01:48 PM

one thing i know FOR SURE is that the 2wd and 4wd rear caliper and rotor are the same, mount the same, the only thing that is different is the hub. maybe the backing plate is different if i remember correctly.

i have backing plate and caliper from 4wd, and a 2wd rotor on my setup

#7 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:15 PM

Ah I think this is a type-0 but
Rich says
"The yard that has the XT6 Turbo 4wd "

I would like to see pictures of this go - mobile??

#8 BlackBoot

BlackBoot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Abbotsford BC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

I just put 18" wheels on my 88 XT6 now brakes look small and poop! What can I bolt on, with minimal drilling ect?

#9 BlackBoot

BlackBoot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Abbotsford BC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Think I'l just pimp this car but leave the body bondo and primer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users