Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil smell inside car when running A/C or Heat???

When I either turn on my A/C or heat in my 87 GL Wagon I can smell a faint oil smell. It is not a burnt oil smell but more a used oil smell. I was wondering if this is something common that happens and what is the cause. Any advice would be much appreciated because it kinda gets to me after a while. Thanks a lot.

I have the same problem, when I run the heater. I've kept an eye on all the fluids, and all are good and stay at the same level. The only thing I could guess, is bad CV boots that throw grease everywere. I don't know if that would be a diff. smell or not, or what it has to do with the heater being on.

Do you only notice the smell when the car is not moving or is moving slowly? It could be oil seepage finding its way (as it always seems to do) onto the exhaust and the resulting smoke finding its way into the ventilation system. Higher speeds mean more air flow to blow away the smoke/smell.

Another possibility is that the PCV system is damaged and venting where the ventilation system can pick it up.

The smell seems to be pretty constant but is more noticable when I am sitting still. I was wondering if it could be the PCV valve? I was thinking about replacing that and see if it made a difference. The coolant and oil levels seem to be staying stable. I don't usually have to add any more than a 1/4 quart of oil between oil changes which I think is pretty darn good. Do you guys think that changing the PCV valve would be a good place to start? Thanks a lot for the advice.

I replace the PCV's in my cars every couple of tune-ups (done every spring), which some would argue is too often. I figure that since it's only about $5, it's not a big deal. Given how easy and inexpensive it is to replace, I would definitely try it first. One very simple test for a PCV is to pull it out when the car is running. If the car keeps running after you've pulled it out, the PCV definitely needs replacing.

All the best,

BB

I will have to check the power steering and tranny. I am pretty sure that I don't have any leaks there either but I could be wrong. One thing I did notice was that when I took one of the hoses off the air filter housing that there was some oil in the hose. This is not normal is it? That is what made me think that is was something with the PCV system.