Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Rotation Interval

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BostonSubaruGuy

BostonSubaruGuy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

On an '06 Outback Wagon, how offen do you need to rotate the tires? The booklet says every 7500 miles. Is that right? I rotate my tires on my Honda Accord every 10k miles accordng to the manual, which I also think is a little high. Can I just rotate the tires on the Subaru every 10k miles too?

#2 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

I rotate my tires every-other oil change. I usually do oil changes every 4000 (+/- 500 miles). Easier to remember, at least for me.

#3 The Dude

The Dude

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • South Carolina

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

Is 7,500 miles an excessivley short tire rotation spec? Probably. However, I would stick to the schedule as as long as the drivetrain is still under warranty (60,000 miles). The AT, and especially the multi-pack clutch are potential weak spots on the Subaru. For that reason the tire rotation and tire matching specs are very tough. BTW, I followed the 7,500 mile rotation while my 1999 Forester was under warranty. After that, is was a tire rotation every other 5,000 mile oil change. I sold the car at 200,000 miles without experiencing any AT problems.
If you pay attention to your tires, including keeping them up to pressure, 10,000 miles probably isn't much of a stretch.

#4 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

I work at a national tire dealer, and deal with tires every day. tire rotations are reccomended every other oil change or 2x a year based on the average 12-14,000 mile driveing per year. When you rotate them you should also have the balancing checked. 3 most common problems for shortened tire life is not rotating, not balanceing, and alignments.

alignments should be check 2x a year as well.

#5 fnlyfnd

fnlyfnd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:22 AM

I think thats a lil much....2x a yr alignment and balance. If the car goes straight and doesn't shake I think you're alright. No as far as rotation yea every 2 oil changes espeacialy with awd

#6 MountainBiker

MountainBiker

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Sonoma County, CA

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

I'm anal, so I rotate tires every 3750 miles, and change the synthetic oil every 7500 miles. But I only check the alignment when something feels wrong or I buy new tires.

#7 Richard1296

Richard1296

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • L

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

The retailer where I bought my tires rotates them for
free every 5000 miles. Seems a little excessive but its
their suggestion and it is free. Of course they also
suggest rebalancing at every rotation and "of course"
they charge for the balancing. I suppose if I don't
let them rotate and rebalance, then if I complain about
tire life they will blame it on my maintenance, or lack
of.

Richard

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,596 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

i do it once a year.

nipper

#9 jon38iowa

jon38iowa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Ankeny

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

i do it once a year.

nipper

I am in your camp,moreover, my tires usually outlast their expiration date. That is, the tread is still thick, though the rubber itself is old.

#10 JPX

JPX

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • San Jose

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:48 AM

Every other oil change if I remember or am not too tired/out of garage time.

I had one set of Michelins actually last me the 80,000 miles they said they would. For $100 a tire they were certainly worth it even though the sticker shock was :eek: . I had cords showing at the very end - and I am positive tire rotations were key to getting so far.

#11 DrPattison

DrPattison

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • East Tennessee

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

No big deal here

I change my own oil with tire rotation

Every time

Tires wear evenly

04 Baja, 02 Forester

#12 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

I think thats a lil much....2x a yr alignment and balance. If the car goes straight and doesn't shake I think you're alright. No as far as rotation yea every 2 oil changes espeacialy with awd

Shaking is NOT from alignment..its a big misconception. 2x a year to get the the manufactirer milage warrenty. Tires are expensive and most places will check it for free...why not have it checked. I dont know about you, but if I have a 60k tread life warrenty I want all 60K.

#13 fnlyfnd

fnlyfnd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

thats why I said alignment AND BALANCING.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users