Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

89 Carbed Justy cold start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chipper6

chipper6

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Pullman, Wa

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hello,

I just bought an 89 justy couple weeks ago and just thought I'd see if anyone has had a simular problem with thier cars. When the cars cold its hard to start and does not Idle until its warm then its fine.

The engine light was on and the previous owner said it said the Idle up/soleniod valve was actiing up.

Stared at the chiltons until I found it and hopefully I can find it when I start to dig in this weekend.

Thanks
chad

#2 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,655 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

First: Welcome! :)

I think it´s due by a Bad Choke, and I think that is Electric. Maybe is just Disconnected, or maybe it has Burned its Resistor.

I suggest to Check it Carefully, remove the Air Filter Box, and Start the Engine, at Idle, turn Manually -if you can- the Choke Plate to almost Close, then the Idle shall go up a little.

if there isn´t any movement on the Choke when you Start the car cool, that´s the Problem.

Good Luck! :burnout:

#3 RONAN

RONAN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

Inspect all of the "thousands" :-p of vacuum lines for a leak or leaks.

#4 chipper6

chipper6

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Pullman, Wa

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:09 AM

Thanks I hope I can get in there this weekend and check it out.

:burnout:

#5 Esteban32696

Esteban32696

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Florida

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

Yep, as Ronan said, " check those vacuum lines." My last carbed Justy had a vac line behind the carb that kept coming off . It was very hard to see,,, so every vacuum line on it, follow to make sure both ends are connected & rubber is not rotten.
The Justy carb was a complicated, & $$ thing. Once you get it running " pretty good ", you may leave well enough alone.Also, make sure it has a good fuel filter, & run a dose of GOOD carb cleaner thru it.

#6 Esteban32696

Esteban32696

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Florida

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

If you get BRAVE enough to start tearing it down, go here, & print out the pages.
http://www.subarujus...read=1171400936

#7 chipper6

chipper6

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Pullman, Wa

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

got in and took a look and it seems that the choke linkage is FUBAR and the choke just flops around like a fish out a water. I held the choke closed and started it and it idled.

think the easiest thing to do would be put a manual choke on it.

the previous owner said a couple years ago a new carb went on and by the looks of it it looks pretty new. It runs fine once its all warmed up and revs fine just gotta get the choke working.

thanks
chad

#8 #89

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Strong Island; Tri-State

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:49 AM

chip,

One of the JUSTYhedz, 'Scoobaru' just tore down a carb in a seriously surgical way, diagrams, photos everything Chilton didn't bother with and more. I'm trying to find his username on these boards, will send it your way ASAP.

Best Luck; Skill,
1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD
126, 711 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users