Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 cams

i'm researching having some cams grinded somewhat locally but i've been asked for things that i don't know, so if you guys could help that would be great.

what i have is an 87 ea82 n/a

what i'm looking for is: casting number, lift, duration

trying a search yielded no relevant results (as can happen with a sometimes cluttered board)

If its a carb, this should be the valve timing:

Intake: 3 BTDC / 51 ABDC

Exhaust: 47 BBDC / 7 ATDC

If its SPFI:

Intake: 10 BTDC / 54 ABDC

Exhaust: 49 BBDC / 15 ATDC

I don't have my EA82 FSMs anymore, so I can't tell you lift or anything else.

Well, Mike, this is correct for 85-86. But in 87 they changed the Carbed Cams to be the same as the SPFI in.=10/54 ex.=49/15 SPFI Cams continued the same till the end of the EA82.

As far as lift. For all EA82s, total cam Lobe height should be 39.80 mm +- .05mm (39.70 +-.05 for 85-86 Carb and MPFI Turbo) Subtract the measurement of the round part of the cam lobe from this total height of the Lobe, that should be the lift.

Here are other EA82 Cam specs. Note these are the angles that valves begin to open and finish closing:

85 MPFI non-turbo IN. 12 btdc/58 abdc EX. 58 bbdc/12 atdc

85-86 MPFI TURBO IN. 3 btdc/51 abdc EX. 47 bbdc/7 atdc(same as carb)

87-91 MPFI Turbo= IN. 14 btdc/56 abdc EX. 56 bbdc/14 atdc

89+ MPFI Non-turbo(spyder XT) IN. 16 btdc/60 abdc EX. 60 bbdc/16 atdc

This is all the information the FSMs have. They don't tell things such as dwell and lift.

delta is the only one that hasn't gotten back to me yet (its been about 7 business days)

finding someone local is like pulling teeth. if they don't laugh at you they just assume your not worth the business, which is horrible considering i'm in the parts business myself.

but yeah, i'm down to two companies...one that didn't know what an ea82 is but is willing to do all the research and go through the trouble of finding the cores to do the grind on in the first place. or a second company that is apparently to busy...:confused:

Better to stick with Delta - they have proven grinds for the EA series, and much experience. If not done properly you could easily wind up with a grind that doesn't do what you want, or a cam that goes flat because they didn't grind it right.

For about the same price you realize you can get an EJ22 right?

If you are looking to build something for off-road (low end torque increase) then get an EA81.

GD

agree with everything GD says (in that last post anyway, ha ha!!!).

keep trying to contact delta, have you called them, email...etc. heck if you waited 7 days already, send them a letter! in general, always go with the experience if you can. far better outcomes that way.

an ej is going to cost me a hell of a lot more then just a couple of cams lol

especially around here. if you find one thats high millage and maybe on its last legs it will still set you back at least 1500, couple of cams 200 tops.

but then on the island thats just the way it is...

while i agree that cost per hp is going to be better with an ej swap...i refuse to deal with customs more then i have to.

last time i picked something up from the states they stripped my car, its just not worth the effort there guys.

what i think i need to do an ej, would cost a hell of a lot...even bargain hunting it would still exceed what i payed for the car...soo...cams it is

The turbo crowd gets a little bit, but it's still not a lot, and the performance moves up in the RPM range. Due to the way the cam cases are made it restricts how they can do the grind or it won't slide back into the case.... also means you have to use spacers under the lifters - Delta reccomends using dimes (as in US currency dimes :lol:). The EA81 is much more condusive to cam grinding because it doesn't have the grinding limitations.

GD

okay, delta got back to me quoting 72.50 usd per side plus i need to ship them cores...not bad i guess, i'm just not sure its the way to go anymore :confused:

What do you want to do? Contact me or Ed and we can do some of the leg work for you. I deal with Delta on a regular basis. We may be able to come up with a couple of cams to give them and get them ground for you. Do you want them before the rally cross down here or would you like to save some shipping and pick them up when you come down? PM Edrach or myself and we'll get it worked out.

Ken