Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick! heater blower switch question!

URGENT!

The heater blower only works in position #3 in Alice, and I need to get the correct parts from my parts car while I am in Haines for Thanksgiving. Do I just take the switch itself, or are the resistors located somewhere else? Is there anything else that could possibly cause this that I should pick up while I am there?

Oh yeah, and an early happy Thanksgiving to all! Be thankful for Subarus!:D

The blower motor resistors are down next to the blower motor (above where the passenger's feet would be) on EA82 series cars. You should see a small (approx. 1" x 2") plastic box screwed into the duct, it will have some wires coming out of the top of it that connect to the same wiring harness that connects to the blower motor.

Hope this helps,

NanoSoob

Alright guys, my car is doing hte same thing.. It used to work on 3 and 4, but just today it only works on #4 high speed

What do I have to do to fix it? is it the resistors or do I need to pull the blower and clean out the elec. motor?

Please help.. I'm freezing my rump roast off up here

Try searching the repair manual section. I could swear I (and others) posted some details that might interest you. As per the earlier post it is down below the dash just forward and slightly to the left of the blower motor. One 10 mm screw and two phillips head screws will remove it. Best source is the wrecking yard; unfortunately, many are bad when you get them. I used to hunt for good ones and found that only one out of 5 were good. I might have a good one in my stash; if you want I'll stop by the old residence and look. If I find one, I'd like $15 for it (I'll pick up the postage). By the way, the same unit is used on the EA81 as well as the EA82 cars. However, your best chance of finding a good one is to go with the newest car you can find.

It is possible to repair the blower resistors. You just find some wire that is about the same size as the particular coil you're replacing, wind it in approximately the same number of turns (spacing it out appropriately), and solder it in. I've done this on a couple of previous soobs, and I just happened to have a resistor laying around, waiting to be soldered, so I snapped some pics of it.

I should note that there is a piece of plastic broken off from this particular blower motor resistor casing, so yours will look slightly different.

pic1

pic2

Hope this helps,

~NanoSoob

All good information and links and pictures

BUT

the URGENT Snowman says, and I quote

"The heater blower only works in position #3 "

This problem -- if by number #3 he means one click below high speed i.e. #4 --- can not be only the resistor block.

The switch by passes the resistor block when in position #4 or high speed. If it is not blowing in pos.#4 then the switch is at fault and he must grab it also.

If the URGENT Snowman means only in high speed then I am off base and should be tagged out.

Completely missed that one... Sorry!

And looking at a wiring diagram for an '88, it seems like the only thing it could be if the fan works in position 3 and not position 4 would be a bad fan switch. Bad resistors explain why positions 1 and 2 work, but not position 4.

Looks like I'll have to pay more attention next time.

~NanoSoob