Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Baja TURBO spark plug change; How horrid?

So, I've heard that it's a nightmare to change the plugs on a Baja Turbo (we have an '05). I've heard everything from having to take out motor mounts and push the motor sideways to having to lift it up with a cherry picker or something. What's the deal here? Has anyone actually changed Baja turbo plugs? Is it really that nasty to do? Help?

zstalker: Thanks! I didn't see that thread in my search, as I was searching for turbo plug change threads.

nipper: You think 60,000 is too frequent for these plugs? My only real turbo experience is with a SAAB I had a few years ago. It ran much better on copper plugs than the stock platinums, and I had to change them every 7,500 - 10,000 miles for absolute peak performance and operation. There really wasn't anything BAD when I did otherwise, it was just best that way. Thoughts?

turbo I wouldnt really know.. I hate em.. but on the NA DOHC I just unbolt the exhaust and the engine mounts and pitch stopper and jack the engine up. You'll spend bout the same amount of time doing that as you would putting the extentions together inside the spark plug hole, and that way you dont take a chance on cross threading the plugs when u put them back in. The engine will raise up enough to clear the frame rails and you'll have straight access.

zstalker: Thanks! I didn't see that thread in my search, as I was searching for turbo plug change threads.

nipper: You think 60,000 is too frequent for these plugs? My only real turbo experience is with a SAAB I had a few years ago. It ran much better on copper plugs than the stock platinums, and I had to change them every 7,500 - 10,000 miles for absolute peak performance and operation. There really wasn't anything BAD when I did otherwise, it was just best that way. Thoughts?

replace them at 100,000 miles, unless your gas mileage drops or something else happens. Some people go 120K, but thats pushing it. Best time to do it would be while the timing belt is being changed.

nipper

I don't know about the Baja, but the worst time I ever had changing plugs was on the mates 1999 Mercury Cougar. It has a transverse mounted V6, which they stuffed into the engine compartment with absolutely no room to spare. Three of the plug sockets are butted up against the firewall. Thank God I have smallish hands. Oh, and the alternator is underneath the engine and almost impossible to remove without removing the passenger side halfshaft and part of the exhaust system, which makes it a costly repair. Ours went out 3 times in five years, probably due to the excess heat from the exhaust (alts don't like heat). It's a fun car to drive, but working on it was a ***************. Sold that car last year and now have the $300 94 Alpine Wagon.