Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'78's Facelift is Done!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/photos2/showgallery.php?cat=1030

The bedliner is out and repainted! She's sporting new decals from Ed Dahl with the word Subaru added.

To restore the 4WD and Subaru on the mudflaps, I scanned them and drew the lettering on the computer and had vinyl cut. They cut both positive an negative images in case the vinyl doesn't hold up, the negative can be used as a mask and it can be painted on.

I also got very nice trim and black interior door panels, armrests and locks from that junker Skip in NH has. There are still some waves in the door and hood sheet metal, but I remember that my original one had the same issues from the factory. It took a month of hard work, but it was worth it.

Now the work starts on the engine bay. I had the signature turquoise paint mixed to redo the air breather.

I was so pleased with the result, the '86 is getting the bedliner stripped very soon. The bedliner is lifting and harboring rust so it needs to go...

• 4 months later...
Looks great!

How about some profile shots of the whole car?

Fixed.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18420&limit=recent

She got a new sunroof this past week! There is a rust issue ever since the new paint, all along the bottom driver's side only... it wasn't there before the paint. Why would that happen?? I'm in the process of finding a professional to deal with it. Scary stuff.

Hi Mary This is Jerry, the pictures of bud cayon looks like you took them out of my back yard. Thats what we have here in Selah Washington, lots of sage brush hills and dry dirt. Wow i didn't think anybody else had that kind of land scape. Lookin really good on your brat. Thanks Jerry

I have seen Marys Brats upclose and personal...I have touched them too:grin: ..I know the rust that Mary is talking about and I would be hot under the collar too ( She will have to explain everything). How you liking that sunroof?? Did Tim put it in?

I had the sunroof professionally installed, best not to mess around re-cutting... this one is 2" bigger than the original one. Feels roomier inside, I like it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Well done, any pics or the roll bar build. It's just what I want for my car. It's the perfect addition. :headbang:

I didn't build or have it built. I think it's just a stock, low roll bar that we repainted. They all came equipped with them... they simply spot welded them to the bed. You should all remember, they are NOT for protection in case of a roll-over! They will fold like a lawn chair! They were more for looks.

I didn't build or have it built. I think it's just a stock, low roll bar that we repainted. They all came equipped with them... they simply spot welded them to the bed. You should all remember, they are NOT for protection in case of a roll-over! They will fold like a lawn chair! They were more for looks.

The roll bars were a factory/dealer installed option. Dad's yellow 78, blue 80, or silver 79 brat's didn't have them in there. Nor were there any markings indicating removal.

The roll bars were a factory/dealer installed option. Dad's yellow 78, blue 80, or silver 79 brat's didn't have them in there. Nor were there any markings indicating removal.

The white BRAT in my gallery had the same style roll bar in it.. I'm sure it was installed when purchased new from the dealership.