Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine RPM in a Loyale Wagon with auto trans?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Elkins, WV

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

I drove my first automatic Loyale today (looking for a car for my girlfriend). It's a 1993 and appears to have a three speed auto (only has D-2-1 on the shifter).
At 65 MPH, the engine was running at almost 4000 RPM. Is that normal? I'm used to a 5 speed, and it seems like they run less than that at 65.
Seems to be a good car, 128K and well taken care of.
Thanks,
Andy

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

yup, its a three speed automatic with a small engine. Can you say buzzbomb?

nipper

#3 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

my one does the same thing, if it bugs you allot try running 14 inch pugs and a little bit taller tires, but your spedo will be off

#4 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:55 PM

yeah, I had an 82 that was an automatic (I quickly rectified that!) and 65 was like 4200rpm lol... Did great around town, but I got like 24 on the highway at 65 instead of the 36 that my 83 5 speed did.

#5 Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Elkins, WV

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:33 AM

That's kind of what I figured, but wanted to check to make sure there wasn't something wrong. I hadn't thought about the fuel mileage issue. I suppose if you drove 55 everywhere it wouldn't do too bad. 185/80 13s would help a little, but also make it that much more of a dog.
Anybody who has an automatic Loyale- how does mileage compare to a 5 speed?
Thanks,
Andy

#6 backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy

vintagesubaruparts

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • upstate NY, in the woods

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:48 AM

We have owned both.

Our 5 speed seemed to GROW gas in the tank instead of USE it:grin:

......the automatic on the other hand, was just like you said. Interstate travel at 65mph = screaming tach, not to mention sucky mileage :-\

#7 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,665 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:07 AM

Yep that's a EA82 auto! It's not bad, I like mine. And about gas, Well i never got mine up to 65mph yet. Only about 55 on a Highway. Oops that's a ticket.:lol: but anyhoo mine don't use much gas. The EA82 or any flat 4/H4 is better at higher RPMs anyway, use's let gas.

Should i metion, how does it run? New plugs/wires cap/rotor stuff like that? Should be a good car for your GF.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users