Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone else find the KYB GR-2's too stiff?

Anytime the temperature goes below 50F, my GR-2's get so stiff it gives me a headache. Walking around on those days I can feel my brain sloshing around inside my head, like I got a concussion or something.

Anyone think these spring compressors might not work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-PAIR-OF-COIL-SPRING-COMPRESSORS-Heavy-Duty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43996QQihZ020QQitemZ300158617934QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'm going back to the worn out struts. I'd rather have a car handle like crap than make me sick all day. Anyone else experience this?

The spring compressors in that link look like they might work; I haven't seen them with those jaws before. Do not skimp on the spring compressor; if that thing breaks during the job it can seriously injure or worse. Sears has the Lisle spring compressor which is similar to that pic; it is like $50 but seems well made and easy to use.

I went from stock to GR-2's with king springs on '00obw. Yes the ride got a lot stiffer, but doesn't really seem jaring, even in cold weather. The old struts and springs made the car handle like a wet fish compared to the nice firm ride now; it feels a lot more predictable and safer to me.

If you want a softer ride, you might want to try monroe struts or something like that.

Left, the Lisle compressor; right a Harbor Freight compressor (awkward to use)

lislecompressor1.jpg96lstrut1.jpg

What type of subaru is that on? I have always found the gr2's to be firm yet smooth. I have rx springs up front on my gr2's and it rides rough but I like it that way. May want to check and make sure that your struts aren't binding up.

They're on a 1995 Legacy sedan. No binding going on. Just really intense g-forces.

We have an accelerometer where I work, but i doubt they'd let me borrow it (costs $1500). The distance of the vibrations is probably .250", quite a throw. No clue on the velocity, but it feels up there.

Anyone have any data outlining the safe limits of gforces on the human body, especially over durations (like my 30 minute commute)?

Sears has the Lisle spring compressor which is similar to that pic; it is like $50 but seems well made and easy to use.

I borrowed the Lisle from Autozone and had trouble with the hooks fitting in the tight space. I ended up having one set of hooks compressing rugs right next to each other. The spring wanted to curl that direction.

Is there enough material there on the ebay ones to handle the load? I was gonna say "they wouldn't sell them if there wasn't" but with the ************ that gets peddled these days....

I'm not sure about the ebay ones. They're probably ok; it's hard to tell without seeing one. Of course a lot depends on the grade/alloy of steel, etc. I hate doing springs because if one of the compressors snaps or something goes wrong, wellllll that wouldn't be good. The Lisles handled the king springs ok, though when really drawn down I could see a slight bow in the threaded rod. That harbor freight jaw type compressor is pretty bulky and heavy duty looking, but I only used it a couple times because it weights probably 20 lbs and it is a pain to get it on and off the spring.

When I did the struts on my '99, I had the same problem with keeping the springs from curling and getting them compressed enough. I ended up using 3 or 4 compressors on each spring. One set is the Lisles, like in porcupine73's picture. The other set has U-bolts instead of hooks.

Sorry, I really couldn't bring myself to trust $7 spring compressors from eBay. Spring compressors are something that cannot be allowed to break, it's too dangerous.

I agree the GR2's are pretty stiff, but I didn't find them objectionable. The stock struts on my '07 are very mushy in comparison.

When I first used a set of them, Sean at Rallitek looked them up and came back with:

"The GR2s are 30% stiffer than a stock RS strut" So yes, they are very stiff. And I like them, I've put themon three imprezas, including my wife's.

When its 70F outside, I love the things. They make my car handle sooo well. And the stiffness is perfect at that temperature. They just seem to get progressively stiffer as temp goes down, with unbearable being below about 50F.

Thx for the tips on sources porcupine, gotta love information dissemination (hope i used that word right). That bowing tells me that springs really push the capabilities of a spring compressor, so a good one is vital.

I'm gonna take Ron and porcupines advice and spend a few $$ for safety's sake.

Anyone have any idea why the struts are getting so stiff for me because of temperature? I didn't think that gasses would behave so differently at different temps. Is oil present in gas shocks? Oil definitely changes behaviors incredibly with temp