Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 driveshaft/ujoint replacement?

my rear u joint is bad on my xt6 so im running it in front wheel drive for a while untill i come up with a good solution.

the u joint is "staked" basicaly its held in with about 10 little hits with a punch to hold the cups into the driveshaft. parts books at parts stores dont list one since subaru wanted you to replace the whole drive shaft if it ever failed.

so i did some measuring and i think i found a u joint for another car that will fit... but has anyone ever done this? any part numbers?

thanks

rockford sells ujoints specifically for the XT6. i have a complete set installed in mine. dont know the part numbers but i've posted them on here and at the XT site before. they are rather steep - $20 or $30 each.

easiest solution is to just get a used one. if it's the rear portion then ANY EA82 or ER27 rear half shaft will work. i probably have one i could send you...as do tons of others here on the board.

Dont let those stake marks spook ya. just use a strong vise and start driving them out. easy as pie. Just act likethey are not even staked.I already practiced on a rear half that NUG gave me with the RX,and it was pretty easy.Ive got new ones ready for Roxy.and plan on doing them both as soon as i get home. Ill take some good digital photos and document the process.

• 2 years later...