Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What does a power steering pump sound like when it starts going bad?

I'm starting to get a growling noise from the front of my engine. Engine is running good. A/C is running good. Is there anything that I can look for to narrow it down? The noise is not a squealing as much as a growling.

Faulty bearing is usually a growl or loud screech. A leaking pump is very quiet. To narrow down the source of the noise get a long screwdriver and hold in on a non moving portion of the pump and put your ear to the handle. This will amplify the noise and you can isolate where it's coming from that way. Just stay away from all the moving parts while you're doing this.

has the power steering ever given you problems before or run low on fluid? go for the sound check edrach mentioned.

can you tell if it's definitely on top the engine and not the timing belt components? if you can't and your 96 OBW has the original EJ25 in it then i'd get on this right away. the EJ25 is an interference motor and you could have a bad timing pulley bearing or tensioner. if one of those fail it could cause major engine damage.

[...]can you tell if it's definitely on top the engine and not the timing belt components? if you can't[...]
Gary makes a good point. If necessary, temporarily remove the accessory drive belt -- that way, it should become obvious if something's wrong externally, or there's a timing belt, etc., related problem.

If you finally narrow it down to being a defective P/S unit, I can tell you it is very easy to replace the unit yourself. Mine went south a few years back with growling and grinding noise. I bought a used one at a wrecking yard. It took me only about 30 minutes to swap out. Cost was about $25 to $30. The P/S unit sits up nice and high on the front of the motor, so R & R was really easy.

Faulty bearing is usually a growl or loud screech. A leaking pump is very quiet.

Good to know. Mine has always been a bit "grumpy," to say the least - basically when the vehicle's cold and/or doing tight turns, I get the growling noise. Dad attributed it to a leaky pump, and as a result I made the mistake of adding more fluid when it didn't need it. :banghead: Burning PS fluid smells greeeaaat!

[...]Dad attributed it to a leaky pump, and as a result I made the mistake of adding more fluid when it didn't need it. :banghead: Burning PS fluid smells greeeaaat!
Overfilled PS level is easily lowered using a turkey baster. Just don't return it to kitchen service -- buy a new baster before Thanksgiving. :)

I still am having trouble pinpointing the noise, but the pump is leaking and when I put fluid in the resevour it is gone in a few minutes. Does that settle it?? Anything special I should know before I take it off? Should I get a new serpentine belt??:eek:

when I put fluid in the resevour it is gone in a few minutes.

First question in my mind is where is it going? Is it leaking out on the ground? Are there puddles under the car?

I swapped out my PS pump a few years ago but later decided it was just a belt problem and there was nothing wrong with the pump--a rather expensive mistake!