Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I long for the boost love

Caboobaroo

FINALLY an update for good news!

Got the VLSD and axles installed today after having to run down to Rob's house to get the studs for the mustache bar since the diff didn't have them. Went to install the tranny, realized that I don't have a clutch fork or the clips for the TO bearing (well I might but I have to look harder)

woo for stuff gettin done!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FINALLY an update for good news!

Got the VLSD and axles installed today after having to run down to Rob's house to get the studs for the mustache bar since the diff didn't have them. Went to install the tranny, realized that I don't have a clutch fork or the clips for the TO bearing (well I might but I have to look harder)

woo for stuff gettin done!

I have clips and probably a clutch fork.

If this keeps going, that car is going to be part mine :-p

OMG! at this rate your car should be running by like... next summer.:lol:

J/K Russ... keep at it. :-p

yeah well I'm a busy guy... I work two jobs, basically from 9am-11pm almost everyday and the ays off I do have, well its usually doing laundry or something to that extent...

or helping Rob with his own cars:lol:

yeah well I'm a busy guy... I work two jobs, basically from 9am-11pm almost everyday and the ays off I do have, well its usually doing laundry or something to that extent...

or helping Rob with his own cars:lol:

Oh sure.....blame it on me :-p

next week, keep an eye open for more updates. I'm going to see about getting the driveline work done this week if I get time to take it down to the shop. Then it'll be stuffin the tranny in, modifying the rear tranny crossmember, wiring and cooling, plus exhaust and getting all the little stuff done. Stuff thats tedious and a PITA but has to be done for it to run RIGHT. I ain't gonna screw this up like my last RX that most of you know the demise of that car...

3 blown EA82Ts in 300 miles and back to the junkyard from where it came from:lol:

Glad to see your making progress on this Russ, I know how it is to have zero time for the things you love to do.

What modifications to the xt6 crossmember do you have to do? I was under the impression that one simply had to swap the center section of the ej mount with the center section of the XT6 mount and it bolted right in..?

anyway hang in there I'm looking forward to updates as they come.

Kaz

Glad to see your making progress on this Russ, I know how it is to have zero time for the things you love to do.

What modifications to the xt6 crossmember do you have to do? I was under the impression that one simply had to swap the center section of the ej mount with the center section of the XT6 mount and it bolted right in..?

anyway hang in there I'm looking forward to updates as they come.

Kaz

Kaz, up until mid '86, the EA82s had a smaller tranny tunnel then the 87.5 and newer IIRC so the crossmembers are a direct bolt in for the newer EA82s with the wider tranny tunnel but not for the earlier cars. Mine has a build date of 10/86 IIRC and it has the slightly smaller tranny tunnel. I believe they did this for the addition of the 4EAT but I could be so totally wrong.

OMG! at this rate your car should be running by like... next summer.:lol:

J/K Russ... keep at it. :-p

i started on mine febuary....last year but i bought a harder motor to install and modified a bunch of stuff. but atleast i only got a standalone to wire in and two fans.

ej22t seems popular these days for 165hp

• 3 weeks later...

Woo updates and a couple pics once I get them loaded onto the computer...

Today was an awesome day. I'd like to thank Ed and Rob for their help or else my tranny install would be put off a few more weeks. My clutch EJ tranny didn't have a fork or the cable bracket sicne the guy I got it from, took them in order to do a conversion in his car awhile ago. So Ed sourced one up and pulled it for me from PAP so I went to go ahead and bolt the tranny into the car, and realized I didn't have the bracket. Rob and I (since he was up doing work on the XT6) went to PAP and to the same car that donated its clutch fork, and got my cable bracket.

After 5 hours of grunting and moaning, I got it in, bolted up minus the rear section since I now know where I need to cut/modify it for it to work. Clutch is hooked up, pitch stopper in and I even got the VF11 bolted back onto the car with new gaskets and some of the piping. Engine is also fully bolted into the car but under the hood still looks like a mess, gotta get to plugging everything together and get the harness done and into the car. Then it'll be driveline (haven't had much time to get it to the shop) and the radiator and I *should* be good to go.... I hope:-\

i started on mine febuary....last year but i bought a harder motor to install and modified a bunch of stuff. but atleast i only got a standalone to wire in and two fans.

ej22t seems popular these days for 165hp

I'm in about the 3 month area for a full swap.:banana: The XT was more of a 6 month or so if you count from when I built the harness. I was broke so I did the free first, then I whipped the engine in there in about 3 months.

Back to the task at hand... so... it's all together, just get it running Russ-o! Then drive it to The Dragon and we'll race for slips:lol:

So got a bit more done today in the nice weather we're having here. I went and visited some friends I haven't hung out with for awhile so not too much got done...

EJ22T PS pump is bolted into the car and the stock boost control solenoids are also in and vacuum lines are hooked up for the most part. Also did some figuring out of the mounting of the EJ linkages in the car and I think I'm not going to shortened the linkages but I need to figure out where I want them after I get the interior put back together so I can get a feel for where I want the shifter to be at. Also removed mroe crap that I don't need under the hood so its getting cleaner under there:banana:I'm also going to pull the rack out this week and replace it with my new XT6 rack I have in the garage:slobber:

More updates! I LOVE awesome weather and a couple hours to play on it. I have like super tons of motivation now:banana:

So Edrach came over and we evac'd the R12 last night from the system. Got up today and tore all the AC out of the car for now (will eventually put it back in but for easiness sake, it'll be out for the conversion). Also figured out how/where I'm going to mount the shift linakges for the tranny. Need to make a 1" x 1" square cut right at the back of the hole for the shifter but I'm leaving the linkages the stock EJ length since I've found its the most comfortable with my STi seats. Tomorrow I'm taking the driveline down to Drivelines NW and having them shorten it for me so I can get that portion of the drivetrain done, and also cut/modify the rear XT6 tranny crossmember as well.

I did drop the EJ22T radiator in to see where I need to cut the core support as well and lemme tell ya, this is a huge friggin radiator compared the the 3 row EA82T radiator I had in there before, holy crap:eek:

I did drop the EJ22T radiator in to see where I need to cut the core support as well and lemme tell ya, this is a huge friggin radiator compared the the 3 row EA82T radiator I had in there before, holy crap:eek:

sounds like you are makeing some good progress... please keep us updated...

you think the EJ22t rad is huge. i just put a KOYO rad in my car. i had to move the FMIC out an inch and cut more of the core support for that beast to fit...

let me know if you need anything...

-=Suberdave=-

Actually I was wondering what you did for fans in your car.

I currently have the stock dual fans from the EJ22T and a EA81 slim fan off of a car with AC. I have a feeling none of them are going to work though:-\

i am using the stock WRX 5 blade fan, in front of the rad. it will not fit behind it. i tossed out the 4 blade fan. cuz i dont have A/C.

if you keep the A/C core this maybe hard. it will bearly fit between the rad and the FMIC.

-=Suberdave=-

Well all the AC omponents have been removed strictly to fit the larger radiator into the car, and if I want to add it back in later, well, that'll be after I get the swap done. Make it work around the swap sort of speak.

After I get some more time to hack the core support apart to fit the radiator, I'll see if I can also get the slim fan to fit in there somehow too if I really need the extra bit but if all you're using is the one fan, then I should be ok until the engine gets built.

Well all the AC omponents have been removed strictly to fit the larger radiator into the car, and if I want to add it back in later, well, that'll be after I get the swap done. Make it work around the swap sort of speak.

After I get some more time to hack the core support apart to fit the radiator, I'll see if I can also get the slim fan to fit in there somehow too if I really need the extra bit but if all you're using is the one fan, then I should be ok until the engine gets built.

I don't know if they are available in the US, but peugeot 306s have dual slimline front mounted fans...

Driveline is at the shop. I talked to the guy, probably be dropping about $500 on it for a one piece aluminum since my u-joints have some nasty flat spots in them. Oh well, its just money right?

Especially since I work my @$$ off for it:banana:

Oh well, whats another $500 into a car that I'm pushing close to $10k:rolleyes:

Yay! Another update!

Not much got done today since I was working until 6pm but I did manage to get the shift linkages mounted into the car using some bits and pieces from other Subarus that I've parted out in the past. I'm going to grab some polyurethane to make a bushing in the hanger I have to keep it from rattling but its mounted in the car, shifts good and hopefully will work for awhile:banana:

Man, I am just rockin along on this thing! Its totally awesome!

Today after I got off work, I took my EA82 harness and started to strip it. Got about 1/3rd of it stripped before I called it a night. So far so good though. I'm not going to have much free time until Wednseday night to continue on it but I made some decent progress in the last few days. I'm shooting for running/driving by the end of the month.:banana:

Man, I am just rockin along on this thing! Its totally awesome!

Today after I got off work, I took my EA82 harness and started to strip it. Got about 1/3rd of it stripped before I called it a night. So far so good though. I'm not going to have much free time until Wednseday night to continue on it but I made some decent progress in the last few days. I'm shooting for running/driving by the end of the month.:banana:

How about by the 20th?

I want to drive my XT6 to the Dragon :-p

After fixing the cooling issue of course

Got the stock EA82 driveline shortened but it didn't get balanced since the u-joints have flat spots in them. I'll run it for a bit hopefully before I get my one piece made since I'm still looking for the correct sized yoke for the rear joint for a 2 1/2" diameter driveline. Didn't get a chance to install it since I got it before going to work. Cost me a whopping $60.23:banana:

Also got the EA82 harness stripped of everything engine related and am going to start lining everything up to splice together. It shouldn't take too long hopefully but I have a small rats nest I need to clean up on the EJ harness around the factory bulkhead connector before I get to merging them. Then its on to installing it, cutting the core support and mounting the radiator, plus a few small odd things that need to be buttoned up:grin: