Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dash lights, what dash lights??

By the way, why don't any of my dash lights work? The clock dims when I turn on my lights, but my dash is black as night (literally) when it's dark out. All my fuses are ok, everything else works. The only interior mod is a cd player that the previous owner installed (thankfully) otherwise how my dogs and I listen to all that Johnny Cash?:confused: :confused: UPDATE: I have a 93 Loyale, the tail/brake lights are all ok, as is everything else electrically. I had already swapped another dimmer module in, with no luck. That silly light button thing for daytime lights works fine. I may try replacing my tires with fresh air next.:D

sounds like time for me to but in. i've got an 88 gl and my tail lights are non-functioning. i have to turn on the parking lights to drive at night.

what should i check besides the fuse¿

how hard do you think it would be to just rewire¿

maybe this will help us both. me and buddy talked about it a bit last month or so.

To Buddy:

Have you checked the dash light dimmer control to see if that is set right?

To MDD:

Since you say the lights turn on with the parking light switch I would have to say your wiring to the lights is ok. I suspect your problem may be in the light switch. I would get a service manual for your car so you could look for places to check for a problem. You should verify the switch is the problem first before replacing it.

maroondunedoom there are a few relays under the dash in amongst the engine computer and fusebox check them cause I had the same problem with my 86 battle wagon when I had it and had to replace 2 relays and also the connectors cause of heat damage (that's why they didn't work) might be with you too buddythedog if it's a gen 3 vehicle

My Instrument panel does the same thing. If I wiggle the dimmer knob for the dash lights it will come back to life.

I'd check to see if your dimmer switch is behaving........If not ground it!:lol:

Glenn,

82 Summer, with partially installed dash with part time dimmer....

01 Forester, bent but not broken.............

I had a similar problem with my 89 wagon, and mine is definitely the dimmer switch...pulled it out and the coil is burnt out. It may be the dimmer you replaced is no good as well.

My solution, since I couldnt get my hands on a working dimmer, was to pick up four large size (top of lens is about 1/2 inch across) 12v led's from radio shack, and mount them along the lower edge of the instrumant cluster, wired in to the light system so they come on with the headlights, etc. They work great! and I can see everything fine with no real glare - I did run a strip of black electrical tape on the inside bottom edge of the clear dust cover so I am not looking directly at the lights - makes a difference.

Just an alternative for ya if you cant get them working....

You stated that you replaced the dimmer control and it made no difference. Did you check to see if voltage is getting to the dimmer control? You should be able to put a test light on the dimmer output line and make the test light dim.

Another thought to see if the dimmer is working is to see if the clock light or radio dims, though it may not be on the dimmer circuit. I would also pull out one of the dash lights to see if it is burned out. It may be all the lights are burned out but I doubt it. If the bulb is good and you have voltage adjustment from the dimmer control I would check the main connection on the dash for a bad connection.

• 2 years later...

take out the fusebox, push it aside, look up in the hole, theres 4 wire leads going into a "bracket" that is where your relays are, my left headlight was dim and all my tails and dash were out, i replaced the relay with the green connector going to it, all the relays are the same on the car, with a few minor acceptions, take it to a parts store, advance auto parts stocks this relay but i got the last one at my advance.

just a little clarification, the dash don't work anytime. the tail lights don't either. i use the parking lights when running at night.

i've got a service manual coming in the mail ion the next week or so. i'll check it out then. thanks fellas.

check the relays above the fuseblock!

sounds like time for me to but in. i've got an 88 gl and my tail lights are non-functioning. i have to turn on the parking lights to drive at night.

what should i check besides the fuse¿

how hard do you think it would be to just rewire¿

maybe this will help us both. me and buddy talked about it a bit last month or so.[/quote