Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Look at what i found....

1981 SUBARU BRAT GL... AND ON THE EAST COAST BELIEVE IT OR NOT IN COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA. I'M SO EXCITED I CAN HARDLY STAND IT! I'VE BEEN PATIENTLY WAITING FOR A LONG TIME TO FIND SOMETHING DECENT CLOSE BY. IT WAS REAL HARD SEEING ALL THOSE CARS OUT IN THE WEST. I ALMOST THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING ONE AND HAVING IT SHIPPED SIGHT UNSEEN....THIS BRAT LOOKS GREAT IN THE PICTURES, BUT IT HAS THE USUAL RUST AND OTHER VARIOUS NORMAL PROBLEMS. I'M GOING TO HAVE FUN WITH IT THIS SUMMER AND THEN TEAR INTO IT IN THE FALL/WINTER. SHOULD GIVE ME PLENTY OF TIME TO LOCATE THE VARIOUS PARTS I NEED. WELL, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK....

april2009002.jpg

april2009003.jpg

april2009004.jpg

april2009005.jpg

april2009006.jpg

Edited by KNOPPER

repainted

dents in bumpers and tailgate

no interior and bed pics, beware

no usual rust spots shown :-\

need pics of hitch!!!

mystery wire hanging down by hitch

What's all this mean to a guy who just wants to use it? I don't think the seller is selling it as pristine and/or restored. What's the price??

Also,you forgot to notate the obviously custom exhaust and rust on the wheels. :grin:

It's not a resto or an aging original but its FUN.

Congrat on the find.

VERY nice BRAT! It's definitely something to start with for a resto. It's hard to see if there are any serious rust issues with the front fenders, wheel wells, etc. There is some rust under the plate on the tailgate. Also, missing trim on rocker passenger side, but that isn't the end of the world. Wish I could see a picture of interior and engine bay, not to mention inside rear bed area, under the rockers, etc. All in All, nice though!

THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS, BUT MAYBE I DIDN'T EXPLAIN WELL ENOUGH THAT I ALREADY BOUGHT IT, LAST SATURDAY. I GAVE 1500 FOR IT WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A PRETTY GOOD DEAL COMPARED TO SOME OF THE OTHERS I'VE SEEN SELLING LATELY. THE FACT THAT IT WASN'T 2000 MIKES AWAY WAS A BIG PLUS TOO. IT RUNS LIKE A CHAMP, CAME WITH A WEBER ALREADY ON IT. ODOMOTER SAYS 105,000 WHICH I WOULD BELIEVE SINCE IT'S GOT THE TACH/ 6 DIGIT ODO ON IT.

IT'S DEFINITELY BEEN REPAINTED, CHEAP A** MAACO JOB. IT'S THE SOFTEST PAINT I'VE EVER SEEN. WHEN I BROUGHT IT HOME IT WAS SO OXIDIZED IT LOOKED GREY INSTEAD OF BLACK. I SPENT A COUPLE OF DAYS BUFFING AND POLISHING...I THINK IT CLEANED UP PRETTY WELL.

AS FAR AS THE INTERIOR GOES ITS THE NORM.....CRAKED DASH, DOOR LOCK TRIM IS TOTALLY GONE, CAN SEE THE ROAD IN A FEW SPOTS THROUGH THE FLOOR, SEAT COVERS COVERING UP WHAT'S LEFT OF THE SEAT CUSHIONS.

THE BED'S IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE INSIDE, JUST STARTING TO BUBBLE AT TNE BACK BED SEAM.

TRUST ME, THE USUAL RUST IS THERE, THE WHEEL WELLS, ROCKER PANELS, ETC. IT'S AMAZING HOW A GOOD POLISHING CAN HIDE ALL THAT IN PICS...

I'LL POST PICS OF THE HITCH NEXT WEEK. JUST LEFT FOR A WEEK AND I MISS THE CAR ALREADY...

THANKS AGAIN FOR COMMENTING ON MY LATEST MID-LIFE CRISIS......:eek:

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry guys, i'm subscribed to this thread, but i wasn't notified of new posts. i'll get pics up this weekend..... it's not that great of a hitch, made out of channel steel and welded to the frame.....i want to cut it off when i get time....