Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ball joint or bearing?

8sumthin ea1 4x hatch. how can you tell. i know the ball joint is bad, and im going to replace that, but i suspect a bearing is messed up too, because it grinds, like a flatspot in a bearing, while rolling, but not when you spin it in the air. but last time i thought this on my 2x the bearing looked fine when i got it off. and at something like $60 a side, at napa, i dont want to go throwing parts at it.

before you shot gut some parts.

lift the wheel of the ground enough to fit a bar or pipe under the wheel. take the long bar or pipe and pry up under the wheel. watch the ball joint while doing this. if it moves a good bit its bad if it just barely moves it probably ok. usually a bad ball joint will give you clunking when driving over bumps.

the wheel bearing you have to recognize the sound. It may be like a drone that changes with speed and turning. if it is bad enough there will also be play when wigling the wheel. you are correct about not being able to detect it by spining the wheel unless it is really bad.

you say it sounds like a grinding noise? check the backing plate. makesure its not touching the rotor.

Actually - sounds like both the bearings and the ball joints. The ball joint will cause you to be able to "steer" the car with the go pedal. Gas steers one way, brake steers the other. But a bad ball joint alone would not make a whining noise. That's front wheel bearings when you say "it stops whining when I steer one direction"

Napa has front bearings for $12 or so - ask for the "other brand" their premium ones are like $22. You need 2 per side - inner and outer, so 4 total for the front. They are pressed in, and are supposed to be installed with a press. You can do it with a punch if your careful - it's not fun tho.

GD