Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The way you routed the PCV valve will not do anything, the PCV (positive crankcase ventialtion) valve allows the engine to re-burn oil vapors and other harmfull gasses that build up in the engine block. What you have done by routing the line from the airbox straight to the PCV valve is disabled that system completely...

-Bill

Yes Bill, you're Right; I Forgot to say that this is a momentary setup While the Problems of my Subie gets Completely Fixed, then I'll hook the PCV setup as it Should.

Edit: I corrected the P.C.V. setup, follow this link for the photos: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114260-oil-catch-can-in-ea82/page-2

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

HOLY COW!

Today I Found the culprit of my EA82 engine problems: One of the Timing Belts -the one at the Driver's Side, Nearby the Distributor- has Three Missing Teeth! ... :eek: ... at Different Belt's Places, also another tooth is about to Fall off... What do you Think About that?

I'll share photos here as Soon as I Can.

I Work in my Subie, just the Tiny Spare Time that Remain after my Job and to be with my Family, that is the reason Why to find out the cause of the problem, Took me too much Time, Just a Little Step every Day's Night ... :mellow: ...

Kind Regards.

No, I Run the EA82 with its covers on, but due to this problems, I am thinking on running them Coverless, because I am sure that if it were Coverless, I would found the cause much earlier. The Pictures that you Saw, are the Actual Look of my Subie's Engine bay, Because I am Working on it Now...

This is how it Usually Looks:

JesZeK-SubaruEA82AnimatedEngine.gif

Edit: I run them Coverless since this problems, see:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/123470-timin-belt-covers/

Kind Regards.

Today was a Non-Stop Rainin` Day, it didn`t let me do Anything on my Subie... I Hope that Tomorrow I`ll have a Chance.

I`m Tired of Goin` on Bus to my Job... :-\ ...

Does anybody had that "Missin` Teeth" Timin` Belt issue?

I`ll Like to Know if their Subies got that Same Behaviour...

Kind Regards.

i've had something similar but on a different car. big ol section where the teeth came off, more than one more like 10 or 20.

was in a Maxima (U11 body VG30E motor) wasnt so hot. 8 bent valves and some minor head work, still cost about $2k because i didnt have the time nor the tools to do it my self. i guess it was kind lucky i was saving up for a computer setup and some stocks but ever since then money has been hella tight and i dont know why.

any way atleast this isnt an interference motor so thats cool.

the werid part about it was i was doing burnouts before i left work, worked at a lube shop, we would smoke out the car wash guys....any way it had no problems but come up to a stop light and go when it turns green like normal and rattle rattle rattle.....quiet.....hmm no steering

...any way atleast this isnt an interference motor so thats cool ...

Absolutely Yes!

My Country have been "Shaking" with minor EarthQuake`s Replicas... that along Non-Stopin` Rains, didn`t let me Work on my Subie earlier.

But the Last Weekend I Worked on my Subie with Great Results!!!

First after a Deep Clean up the Engine, I Started to set the Correct Ignition Timing, before install the New Timin` Belts, Tensioneers and Covers. (The Old Covers were Worn and in very Bad Shape after 24 Years and over 270K Miles of use so Far since 1985)

This is a Picture of some Parts of my Subie`s New Timin` Kit:

TimingBeltsKit.jpg?t=1245475304

I Noticed that the Recent New Subaru Parts Comes in Plain White Boxes, while the Old Times New Parts came in Blue & White Printed with the Subaru Logo Boxes... Well, the economy... but That Doesn`t matter.

TimingBelt2.jpg?t=1245475522

TimingBelt1.jpg?t=1245475575

Even some Parts came Without a Box!

Tapa4.jpg?t=1245475599

Tapa3.jpg?t=1245475648

Tapa2.jpg?t=1245475698

Tapa1.jpg?t=1245475729

Idler1.jpg?t=1245475872

Well, I Started from Square One: First I did Set the "Upper Dead Point" (I Don`t Know the Right Translation for That, But I Hope that You`ll Understand) in Cyl one, then all across the Engine... I Noticed that my Subie`s engine Timin` was Very Bad, to the Point that I Needed to Take Off the Disty and Reset the Timing Again.

After That, I did Set all the Timing Again, with the Only Help of the Great MilesFox Timin` Belts Procedure Manual, as Seen on the USRM; Thank you, MilesFox!

:)

Then I Installed the New Timin` Belts + Tensioneers & Covers, also Replaced the Worn 5/8" Hose at 90º (that was the Cause of the Water / Coolant Leak) along with New Clamps...

I Really Dislike that Hose`s Place Design... but it Could be Worse: Recently I Helped someone to Change the Sparkplugs on his Mitsubishi Eclipse V6... Oh my God! ... You need to take off the Intake to do That! ...

:eek: ... Now I Love even More my Subie`s Engine Design...

Well, Then after Everything was in their Place, I Replaced the Rad, Fans and Belts, Filled up the Rad with Coolant... etc, and installed New Spark Plugs; after all That, I Tried to Start the Engine: ... Now...

thwootdance.gif?t=1245477697 I AM HAPPY! th_FlipDownnana.gif

(Remember the "Gorillaz" Song: Clint Eastwood?)

th_bananadance.gif

Yes! ... it Started Right at the Very First Try, Purr like a Kitten! ... Then it Revvs Up Super Easily, Without any Problems it Reaches the Red Mark... Thanks God and your Kind Help.

Excuse me for the Short Posts, I Still Don`t have a Computer, mine is Damaged and this one -From a Neighbour- Trend to Shut itself Off in the Middle of the Use, due to OverHeatin` Problems.

I Noticed that my Subie`s Engine Behaviour have Changed since that Timin` Belt Job: Now the Engine Runs Smoother than Ever, but it Also have a Different -Quieter- Sound, Let me Explain:

Since the Weber Swap some Years Ago, my Subie`s Engine Sound became Very Louder, Specially when the Secondary was Open (Full Throttle) and it Was Very Fast to Accelerate from Low RPM`s engaged -for Example- in Second or Third Gear, but it was a Little "Slow" to Gain Speed at Higher RPM`s while at Full Throttle.

Now the Engine Sound is Very Quiet, even at Full Throttle ... :confused: ... and Also my Subie has the Opposite Accelerating Behaviour: it Slowly Gain Speed at Low RPM`s but if the Car is Runnin -For Example in Fourth Gear- and around 65 MPH, if I give it Full Throttle, it Accelerates Super Faster from 65 MPH to around 100 MPH (I Had to Slow Down `cos it is Pretty Scary in our Crazy & Bad Roads to Run very Fast) So it now Likes Higher RPM`s, but the Loud Full Throttle Sound is Almost Gone in exchange for a More Deep and Clear Boxer Sound.

Even it Sounds Just like a Hair Dryer at Low Speeds / Low to Mid RPM`s ... :eek: ...

Anybody can Tell me Why it Has This Behaviour?

I Believe that Maybe my Last Timin` Belt Job, the one done Bedore this new one, wasn`t all Right after all...

Also the Subie Feels more Powerfull, I Tested it in a Highway that have Many Uphill and Downhill parts: Before the Timin` Belt Job, my Subie was Doin` one Uphill in Fourth Gear at 2,100 RPM`s without Gain more Speed, Now it Reaches the Same Point at 2,300 RPM`s and it Gain Speed during the Hill`s Climb, up to 2,600 RPM`s...

As Aditional info: I ReJetted the Weber Carb with a Bigger Secondary Jet, as you can see Here:

WeberCleanup3.jpg?t=1245479979

Could it have something to Do with the Increased Performance / Reduced Engine Noise?

Well, I Miss my Weber`s Roar...

Kind Regards.

so basicly your saying your car is running quieter and in the lower RPMs it takes a while to accelerate and then at a certian point it just takes off?

mine does that, i dont know if its normal though. just letting you know your not the only one

Well, Then after Everything was in their Place, I Replaced the Rad, Fans and Belts, Filled up the Rad with Coolant... etc, and installed New Spark Plugs; after all That, I Tried to Start the Engine: ... Now...

thwootdance.gif?t=1245477697 I AM HAPPY! th_FlipDownnana.gif

(Remember the "Gorillaz" Song: Clint Eastwood?)

th_bananadance.gif

Yes! ... it Started Right at the Very First Try, Purr like a Kitten! ... Then it Revvs Up Super Easily, Without any Problems it Reaches the Red Mark... Thanks God and your Kind Help.

Congratulations!!!!!

And as for the retuned carb, it may not be the carb, it may be your timing.

Let me explain (even though I'll probably get most of it wrong), as far as I

know, if you advance your timing it will give you more upper end torque and

therefore more acceleration at higher RPM's.

If you delay(?) the timing, I believe it gives you more power down low, but I'm

not sure, I have yet to do any testing on this.

So your disty may have been incorrectly timed on the last tune up and now

that it is properly timed, you get more power! :banana:

Oh, and if its ok with you, I say we should petition the mods to put this

banana as an emoticon th_bananadance.gif

And so it has company :banana::banana::banana:

Twitch

• 1 month later...

You may have gone too large with that secondary jet - it sounds like it's having trouble at part throttle on the secondary side. You may be flooding it when the secondary first starts to open.

What jets were in it before and what is in it now? I can tell you what may be happening better if I know what jets you are running.

I think you are getting a lot of power at wide-open-throttle because the air-bleed is leaning it out just enough to counter the super-rich secondary main jet - it's still rich but it should be pretty rich at wide-open-throttle anyway.

GD

... What jets were in it before and what is in it now?  ...

This Weber carburetor, came from Redline-Weber, jetted for the EA82 as Follows: 140 in Low (Primary) Stage, and 140 in High (Secondary) Stage; the grand total is 280.

That's pretty close to the 276 grand total, which came on the factory setup found on the Hitachi carburetor, as it came with 116 in Low (Primary) stage, and 160 in High (Secondary) Stage.

What I did with this Weber, was to leave the Low (Primary) Stage main fuel jet in 140 as it came, but I increased the size from the High (Secondary) Stage Jet, to 162, that was the closer to 160 Jet I found, locally.

So now, my Weber has a grand total of 302, not so far from the Factory 276 found the Hitachi carburetor.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...

However, despite that the 162 main fuel Jet on High (Secondary) stage seems to be working good, sometimes I feel like the engine really doesn't need that much, not even under hard acceleration; so I might go back to the 140 on High (Secondary) Jet, soon... 

Kind Regards.

• 1 year later...

Everything was Solved!

Thanks to God:) 

Not only the Timing belts' Problem plus running them Coverless, as you can read in the previous posts above, but also I finally Solved the Front e-Brake Problem that I Mentioned at the First Posts of this Thread, and since every solution deserved its own Thread, please Look here for the Solution to the e-Brake (parking Brake) Problem:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/98476-help-please-direct-front-brakes-swap/

Also I Did reinstalled the P.C.V. system in the proper way, (I Disabled it for a While as you can read on Posts 25, 26... of this thread), for more information and photos, please see this thread:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114260-oil-catch-can-in-ea82/page-2

And Finally, let me tell you that I am running my EA82 engine, without the timing belts' covers, since I installed them in 2009, as you can read in the Post Nº 36 of this mere thread, however, I started another thread only for sharing experiences regarding running Coverless belts on these engines, and How to properly set the Timing, without having the mark that were on the back covers. The thread regarding Coverless Timing Belts, is here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/123470-timin-belt-covers/

Kind Regards.

► Edited to fix the Web Links, due to the new USMB system,

.....for further information, follow the web links above.

thlockdsmiley.gif

THREAD CLOSED!

• Like 1