Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 Brat EJ22 swap (Pics included)

gwilson87

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, might be true. I guess I'll measure, I got my lift from sjr and didn't measure. Its should be the same between ea81s, brat or wagon. It could be different than an ea82.

Well, I eyeballed it with a little angle gauge off the shock. Looks to me to be closer to 15 than 22 but I'm on a gravel hill so not so accurate. Maybe someone will pipe up.

Edited by Yo'J

Hmmm' date=' might be true. I guess I'll measure, I got my lift from sjr and didn't measure. Its should be the same between ea81s, brat or wagon. It could be different than an ea82.

Well, I eyeballed it with a little angle gauge off the shock. Looks to me to be closer to 15 than 22 but I'm on a gravel hill so not so accurate. Maybe someone will pipe up.[/quote']

I used 16 on a recent EA81 lift, and it wasn't quite enough. Rig still has alot of positve camber, which isn't a positive.

I would go with about 18-20 for the next kit I make.

So im just working on random stuff here and there to get it daily driveable. I did pick up some BFG snow tires for the front for $20 for the pair. I just made a new grill to see how I like it. got some free steel mesh and will paint it later to looke better but I wanted some opinions.

CIMG6869.JPG

CIMG6868.JPG

just imagine it painted red, or black. Because eventually the car will be black with a red strip down each side.

Finally am using the brat for daily driving!! It made it to work this morning just fine with only one slight problem. When I turn sharp it feels like the car automatically applies brakes... Slightly odd and confusing. I just recently rebuilt one caliper and bled all the brakes so I don't know what could cause this other than maybe axle problems. Any ideas?

IT PASSED EMISSIONS !!!!! I had to take it to the state emissions office and have them give me a certificate to allow for the engine swap and whatnot because obviously its not going to be the same as a carb'd EA81. Also it toks its first real trip on the freeway, held 75 just fine with power to pass other cars. I am slightly concerned with my fans not turning on. I think I might just make a switch directly to the battery to turn the fans on and off when I want.

Congrats on passing emissions!

My fan almost never comes on unless I'm stuck in traffic and even then its pretty rare. I sat there with the thing idling in my drive way for quite a while when I first started it up before it came on. I was really nervous about it, but eventually it did come on and the thing seems to run nice and cool.

D

awesome! congrats on passing. They're really pretty easy-going at that office there, as long as you're not going/calling to be a jerk about something.

As for the fans coming on, I'd let the car idle till it gets to where the needle is heading into the hotter range and they haven't come one. Have you been able to turn them on by grounding the control wire manually? (i.e. with the key "on," backprobe the ECM connector at the wire that it uses to command on the fan relay) If they don't come on, you've got an electrical or fan problem.

As crockettbrat said, my fan doesn't even come on till I'm sitting in traffic usually, so you might not even have a problem in the first place.

~Erik~

Sorry for no replies on the thread. I was vacationing in Zion Nat'l Park for my 2 year anniversary. So I have the fans hooked up just as they were before pretty much. The sensor in the radiator is still hooked up right, I guess the car is staying cool enough. The only real driving it gets is about 1 mile to work and back round trip, and my random 40 miles on the freeway to get my emissions ticket (required for an engine swap). I guess driving on the freeway had enough air flow to keep it cool. I haven't wired up the water temp gauge because I don't know what wire its supposed to go to :confused: I know, should have done it before but I was REALLY running out of time. If anyone knows of what wire the water temp gauge is on EA81's I would really like to know. Hopefully Safety test gets done... wednesday maybe? Install the swaybar for the test and a "new" axle that I got from Martimus along with the sway bar clamps. Just using them to get through safety then the bar is coming back off. Anywho, once its registered, looks for some dirt pics :banana:

• 3 weeks later...

Update, The brat is running great. Made its first real trip since being licensed up to the hot springs (60 miles round trip) and everything ran great. Since putting the lift in, i get some weird wobble when i put on the brakes at higher speeds, not always, just randomly, might need an alignment. I also have lights up on top behind the roof that are nice for night time wheelin. Got to test the 4wd at the hot springs but no pics, hopefully I can go for a sunday drive tomorrow and get some good pics.