Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bolt-in EA series Alternator upgrade. Nissan Maxima alt installation guide.

This looks to be the best way around the crappy stock alt.

Thanks for the info! My '84 GL will be getting this setup. :banana:

Question though, did I read correct that the factory (ea81) harness can be modified to plug into this Maxima alt, or do you need a bit of harness from a junkyard Maxima?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean it wobbles or do you mean the position of the pulley compared to where it needs to be in line with the belt is off?? Got a pic? Mine was basically straight swap but it still wobbles a tad because we couldnt get the spacer perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

GD, or anyone else that might know...

Ive got a reman 90A Maxima alt in the mail to do this swap, but Im unsure of what pulley I need.

Im concerned about the double pulley rubbing the AC belt.

What pulley would work?

Thanks for any help:)

RU04.jpg

Success!

maxalt.jpg

Nabbed a reman alt off of ebay for $70 shipped to my door.

Works great!

Idle with no load, 14.38V

With high beams, fog lamps, heater fan on full blast, at idle Im seeing 12.8V :clap: Lights BARELY dim when the revs come to idle.

A few tips...

* I found the optimum spacer thickness to be 11mm. I used an end wrench to keep the thickness true as I was grinding the factory spacer down. To do the grinding I put the spacer in a vice, and used an angle grinder. I finished with a bench mounted belt sander.

* The round battery lead connector had to be opened up to fit over the stud on the alt.

* I didnt like how the spade connectors connected to the alternator on the top. Moisture collection was my concern. I made a foam rubber cover to fix the problem. Just a small rectangular bit, with a cut in the middle to allow the wires to pass through.

Rock on! :headbang:

Edited by Idasho
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Yeah - I can supply you with one. Just PM me the details.

Pics were hosted on my old internet provider's native hosting - they sucked and I switched to fiber so those addresses are gone - sadly I cannot update the posts in this thread to rehost he pictures with Picasa because the post is too old and won't allow me the edit option. Perhaps a mod can do something about that.....

GD

Yeah - I can supply you with one. Just PM me the details.

Pics were hosted on my old internet provider's native hosting - they sucked and I switched to fiber so those addresses are gone - sadly I cannot update the posts in this thread to rehost he pictures with Picasa because the post is too old and won't allow me the edit option. Perhaps a mod can do something about that.....

GD

Probably easier if you could repost them here and we can cut+paste them to the original.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see thay generaldisorder said that the nissan alt would work from an 87 to 94 maxima. My question is, is the alternator the same from a 96 maxima. I looked at oreilly's autoparts website and the looked the same. I was just looking for conformation on this. thanks for the input ahead of time.