Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking At A 2010 Legacy CVT???!!!!!

I don't like being an unpaid beta tester. This the first year for the new CVT tranny. Old guys, with good memories, can remember the last time Subaru installed CVT trannies. It was a horror show. The trannies were good for about 20,000 miles before they self-destructed.

Sooooo... does anyone have any info on the new CVT tranny? I buy Subarus for dependable transportation, not to be an unpaid beta tester.

Just got back from the dealership. CVT has a towing limit of only 1000 lbs. THe CVT is a sealed unit, no on site repair. If the CVT breaks replacement with a new/factory rebuilt transmission is the only repair option.

Edited by The Dude

Probably for the first year, repairs will be replacements unless suby finds problem spots. Lets Suby find problems cause and effect first hand in the units rather than second hand knowledge. Most manufacturers do this. Had one apart in class earlier this week. Pretty robust. Weighs almost 400 lbs. It can simulate a 5 speed auto if you like. Safeguards are in place to prevent things CVT's don't like. For a new transmission in a global market and a mainstay car, I think Suby has done some homework.

The 6 speed stick is VERY similar to the current 5 speeds. I think EPA is 34 MPG on a bigger car!

Sigh cant we all just stick to one or two 2010 threads.:grin:

You dont want to be a beta tester, fine, dont be one :P

If you did your research, you will find out

a- this is an entirely differnt animal. The Justy failures were mostly from the brushes that operated the powder-metal clutch.

b- CVTs in various shapea sizes and forms have been around long enough now that they are have over 100K on them, and are very trouble free.

nipper

• 1 year later...

I have a new 2011 Outback with a CVT transmission. I've owned 9 Subarus and this is by far the worst transmission I've had. It does get 31 MPG and it drives very smoothly, but it is horrible in reverse. There is a complete lack of power. If you park diagonally with a steep road crown and have a bit of a bump into the gutter, the car cannot back out of the parking place. Also if you are in more than four inches of snow and try backing up, it just won't go. The RPMs go to 2400 and it just sits there and does nothing. Also if you are backing up a steep hill, and have a small rock (2") under a tire, forget it--2400 rpm and nothing moves. I would advise against purchasing a CVT on a Subaru. I really don't like mine. Subaru is working on the problem, but so far, no joy.

It's a sweet design - really an industry first. They will work out the few problems eventually.

I look forward to when they work out all the issues - it's based on an old variable speed machine drive called a "Reeves Drive" and once they get the bugs worked out of the software it should be a great unit. Very few moving parts.

GD