Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-22 swap, Project Loyale

cmiller

I decided to start a thread on my project car: '92 Subaru Loyale. I want this to be a daily driver for work and be a fun trail rig.

IMG_1587.jpg

So far I've done a 4" lift, added a set of 14" pugs with AT's, skid plate from Rallitek, Warn Industries brush guard, (originally made for the Brat), the 5SPD D/R swap, and XT6 front seats on it as well as adding all of the little interior bits that came on the GL's but not on the Loyale, (proper door handles, front map light, rear cargo light, etc...) Still looking for an LSD to put in as well. I also have all the bits to do the 5-Lug swap from an XT6 except for the front knuckles and axles, but this can wait a bit because...

Now I'm gearing up to do an EJ-22 swap. After seeing other EA wagons at the show with the EJ swap done and reading through Numbchux's excellent write up I had to go for it. I recently got a motor from http://www.mttechsuba.com/ Mountain Tech Subaru in Oregon City that has 90,000 miles on it originally from a '92 Legacy wagon. :banana:

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1627

here it is all put back together after I went through it...

Motor is in great shape and VERY clean but I decided since its on the stand I might as well go through it and put in new seals, belts, water pump, and gaskets all around so I know its 100%.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1628

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1630

It will be nice to replace the EA-82 with the EJ and finally not be a gutless slug on the highway and trails.

Edited by cmiller
  • Like 1

well PM me if you need pictures or anything like that since ive had mine done for a while.

Cheers

Shean

I would really like to see some pics of what people have done to keep the AC in and have enough fans for the radiator. I've got the ac lines from the Legacy and they should fit just fine.

From searching around the forums most people have opted out on the AC to leave more room for a front mount radiator fan or two. It seems like according to Numbchux's write up that if you ditch the hood latch you can squeeze a fan in there... Again I really want it to look as factory as possible so if anyone has pics of this being done I would appreciate it.

I ditched the hood latch and the stock bumper and the little strip that runs between the headlights/grille and the bumper. I have two stock EA82 electric fans in front, wired "backwards." I welded cylindrical stock from the hardware store to the front of the radiator support, with captive nuts welded on the back of the radiator support; they suspend the fans at uniform levels in front.

I would like to box in the sides of the fans and probably weld their shrouds together into a single unit and then explore reintroducing a hood latch; I have hood pins installed now.

I don't have pics now and it's dark but I'll try for some soon.

Hey Chris,

On my GL10 that was parked next to you at the show (silver car, VW wheels) I have good working AC as well as the stock hood latch and bumper. The solution for mine was the Legacy radiator and condenser and that allowed room for two ten inch pusher fans in the front. The fans are where the EA condenser was, the condenser is where the radiator was and the radiator is just behind the core support. (pretty much the only remaining space) Now I need to put some XT seats in mine so I will be even more comfortable.

• Like 1

Hey Chris,

On my GL10 that was parked next to you at the show (silver car, VW wheels) I have good working AC as well as the stock hood latch and bumper. The solution for mine was the Legacy radiator and condenser and that allowed room for two ten inch pusher fans in the front. The fans are where the EA condenser was, the condenser is where the radiator was and the radiator is just behind the core support. (pretty much the only remaining space) Now I need to put some XT seats in mine so I will be even more comfortable.

Yeah, good to meet you at the show! :headbang: I meant to snap a couple of pics of your set up. Do you have any you could send me? Thanks!

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures when it went together. Feel free to ask any questions and I will attempt to get some pictures together. I will try to come up with Legacy radiator and condenser and show what I did on another car which will be easier to see without an engine in the vehicle. There are several people expressing an interest so I will attempt to get that done fairly soon. Abe

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures when it went together. Feel free to ask any questions and I will attempt to get some pictures together. I will try to come up with Legacy radiator and condenser and show what I did on another car which will be easier to see without an engine in the vehicle. There are several people expressing an interest so I will attempt to get that done fairly soon. Abe

Thanks for the info. It sounds like for the best fitment the Legacy radiator is the way to go. If you could get some pics or at least let me know exactly what you had to do to get it all fit I would be very grateful. I really would like to see your rig sometime again and eyeball the fit.

And if anyone else has pics or a short write up on installing a Gen 1 Legacy radiator in a EA82 I would love to see em!:D

I was getting tired of the power steering leak coming from the rack after being told by someone that my car was burning. It was spewing ATF onto the exhaust and making some nice James Bond smoke screen!:brow: So I grabbed a replacement power steering rack to swap in from Mountain Tech. I also noticed that the rack bushings were toast. Apparently the nice stiff poly AVO bushings for the 1st gen Impreza fits my Loyale power steering rack perfectly.

yhst-49187380673845_2072_16306128

So I picked some up from Rallitek today to replace crappy worn out factory ones. This should get rid of the slop in the steering a tad better. Here's a link to the AVO bushings that fit the Loyale/EA82 power steering rack: http://www.rallitek.com/avostrabu.html

Edited by cmiller

I picked this up from Perrin Performance the other day:

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1638

Here's the link to the product: http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/511/Oil-Temp-Pressure-Adapter?category=4&model=33

I think it will work great to plumb in the oil pressure sender unit from my EA82 as well as a oil temp sensor for the EJ swap. :)

so it was you i talked with about the sandwich adapter at the WCSS11. good idear huh?

so it was you i talked with about the sandwich adapter at the WCSS11. good idear huh?

Yeah, it really takes alot of unnecessary monkeying around with different fittings and crap to get a proper oil pressure read using the factory EA82 guage and sender unit. See the silver threaded plugs? The EA82 oil pressure sender threads right in there. I'm sure one could get an oil temp on there as well. Its obviously really easy to install and makes for a tidy fit and look. I think its a must for any EA to EJ swap. :)

The best part of today:

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1704

Brown Santa brought me a freshly cut harness from Numbchux! :banana::headbang::clap:I'm very impressed on the high quality and care taken by Chux to re-wrap in loom, tape, and label up everything. Thanks Chux for kicking a** on the harness! Everything should be set for the swap. Just need a few days off in a row to get it all in!

Edited by cmiller